Magnesium block

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
On the few occasions when I've bothered to use this thing I've also found that the file on my leatherman is the best option for creating a pile of shavings.

I might reduce the whole thing to a pile of shavings just to see what happens when I drop a spark on it. :D

Stu

Aw man, you HAVE to do it now youve said it. I think you should stand well back though.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They work perfectly well with a little practice:confused:

As far as wrecking knives when scraping off the magnesium; shave it off! don't SCRAPE!

I much prefer a 9-10mm ferrocium rod fire starter, far more reliable and particularly simple in use. The best one in my experience; being the 'Fire Flash' I bought from Woodlore, (quite a long time ago now) with the 'Swedish Army Firesteel', a good second. Most of the blanks I have tried are pretty poor in comparison:confused:

'Generally'; best and most easily available tinder: shaved up birch bark, unless you're a townie/city slicker, then use cotton wool balls.

Bow drill fire lighting: savage amusement, good test of cardio-vascular system though and of course it certainly warms you up:D

The key with ALL fire lighting methods; is PRACTICE.

Even with matches or a lighter, if you don't know how to light the fire, as in; what material to use and how to use it, you will not get a good fire, first time:22:

Practice, Persistence & Patience:cool:

cheers
Steve

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk

Sorry I don't get it.

Lovely dry tinder and leaves. Even suggests using Vaseline to hold the shavings in on a windy day.

What exactly is the magnesium for? Seems you could have achieved same result without the magnesium. Nice technique of keeping everything in one place though.

And why is it townie to carry cotton balls and not townie to carry a lump of metal?

rancid badger

Sorry I don't get it.

Lovely dry tinder and leaves. Even suggests using Vaseline to hold the shavings in on a windy day.

What exactly is the magnesium for? Seems you could have achieved same result without the magnesium. Nice technique of keeping everything in one place though.

And why is it townie to carry cotton balls and not townie to carry a lump of metal?

Don't know anything about the youtube video.

Magnesium burns at very high temperatures. If you shave magnesium finely enough, a spark from the attached ferrocium rod will ignite it. If you have damp tinder, the magnesium might help to get the tinder going but you need a good pile.

It has to be a special kind of metal but any old cotton wool will do.

In all honesty; you're better off with a good quality firesteel and shaved birch bark for tinder.

cheers

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its amazing just how much high spec super grade military tat it takes to replace a Clipper lighter.

Although to be fair the modern firesteels are pretty good and tops for lighting Trangias.

rancid badger

Its amazing just how much high spec super grade military tat it takes to replace a Clipper lighter.

Although to be fair the modern firesteels are pretty good and tops for lighting Trangias.

I've been looking for clipper lighters for ages, when ever we go shopping, but cant seem to find any:confused:

You can continue to use them long after the gas has gone too, if you have a few cotton wool balls:D

cheers

Steve

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
If you have damp tinder, the magnesium might help to get the tinder going but you need a good pile.

My point exactly, the magnesium doesn't seem a guaranteed sure fire enough tool to be worth its weight. The magnesium might help but then it might not. I just think you would be better off using the time spent shaving magnesium to prepare some birch bark or other dry tinder and carry a better firesteel.

Not saying these things are completely useless, I just wonder how often lighting a fire with one is absolutely dependent on the presence of magnesium. I wonder how often relying on the magnesium has produced failure and I wonder if that is why the US military replaced them with what is just a gucci version of a sparker from a bic lighter and some cotton wool!

Spark-LiteOD1.jpg

rancid badger

My point exactly, the magnesium doesn't seem a guaranteed sure fire enough tool to be worth its weight. The magnesium might help but then it might not. I just think you would be better off using the time spent shaving magnesium to prepare some birch bark or other dry tinder and carry a better firesteel.

Not saying these things are completely useless, I just wonder how often lighting a fire with one is absolutely dependent on the presence of magnesium. I wonder how often relying on the magnesium has produced failure and I wonder if that is why the US military replaced them with what is just a gucci version of a sparker from a bic lighter and some cotton wool!

Spark-LiteOD1.jpg

I totally agree with you, they do work with practice, as any method will but I'd rather carry a few sheets of bark, a knife and a firesteel and get a sustained flame, rather than a 'flash'.

I wouldn't recommend anyone actually buying a magnesium block unit, but if you have one, you can get it to work reasonably well eventually;)

Cheers

Steve

Belargehair

Mar 3, 2009
Whites Lake
Hmm. I found the magnesium block easy and fast to use. A little bit of shaving, with a small piece of a broken hacksaw blade tied on to the block. A few sparks and woosh! Fire.

I think they are great.

Saved me before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE