Made me a timber bench!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello made me a simple timber bench. It's about 2.3 meters. Made of spalted pine. Cut a log in half with a chainsaw then plained it smooth by hand. The legs and holes are both conical so in theory the harder you sit the harder they connect. I kinda eyeballed the legs angle so there are some variation. The construction seems weak but we shall see how long it last. The tenons for the legs are about 7 cm deep. Treated with linseed oil.
2qi6a78.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Job looks a good 'un. Nice delineation between the spalted & unspalted wood.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Amazing stuff, incredible how much of a difference the density and the little bit of extra resin can make against rot and spalting
Top stuff, hope it will serve you well through the years mate it's a keeper ^^

Yours sincerely
Ruud

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nice figure in the wood. Looks like "bug-wood" to me. Called the "blue-stain" fungus, it's carried by pine bark beetles and infects every tree that they colonize.
Not a spalting which can occur de novo.
We have 18,000,000 hectares of standing dead and dried and cracked pine in British Columbia from a Mountian Pine
Beetle epidemic over the past 20 years as a little note added in proof from where I sit. Not worth the chainsaw gas to cut it down.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Nice figure in the wood. Looks like "bug-wood" to me. Called the "blue-stain" fungus, it's carried by pine bark beetles and infects every tree that they colonize.
Not a spalting which can occur de novo.
We have 18,000,000 hectares of standing dead and dried and cracked pine in British Columbia from a Mountian Pine
Beetle epidemic over the past 20 years as a little note added in proof from where I sit. Not worth the chainsaw gas to cut it down.
Thanks for the info. These logs were infected after they were felled I think. They been laying on the ground for about 2 years.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
well, at least it'll not blow away in a storm!

I made a single seat in the same form as that while in college and that was heavy enough for a seat.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The bugs could have infected the tree before it was cut. Then the fungus carries on by itself.
Can you see the shallow tunnels when you removed the bark?

What did you use for a finish that shows off the blue stain so well?
Everything that I've ever tried on bug wood just looks grey and dirty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE