Made a knife for my neighbour!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My neighbour bought himself a Nic Westerman spoon knife a while back and still hasn't got round to handling it! So I figured I'd give him something to get him inspired to finish it ;)

I got a random leuku blade from the gift it on thread the other day and figured it would do nicely! carbon steel, stick tang and in need of a little clean, so perfect for him. I used some antler from my box of bits and a squre of brass I also got from the gift it on thread and started/finished it earlier today!

The blade cleaned up a treat and took a very good edge, what do you think?

I used a long piece of antler so it was more ornamental as the blade already has some carving/etching on it of a conoer and a moose. The brass is the bolster!

I took it our for him a few minutes ago as he was burning some wood out there and told him I had a present for him, he was happy so I'm happy too! I showed him how to shave curls out of wood to make fire as his lad was playing with a ferro rod and cotton wool balls! He was chuffed and should have a few hours of fun playing with it teaching his family how to make fire.

Cheers for looking :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Very nice.

Any close ups of the blade decoration you mentioned?

Very thoughtful gift. If the house the other side of you comes up for sale let me know ;) I need a neighbour like you.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's great for one day...............I just love when I can see something through from first thoughts to completion on the same day, there's a sort of discipline to it and I think it shows in the results...........atb mac

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
thanks guys! It didn't take long but it made a big impression which was nice.

No close ups of the blade unfortunately, I have a basic camera so it's kinda hard to get good detail shots sometimes. The engraving was rather primitive but quite nice, looked like it was done with a needle engraver.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I knew it would give him the kick up the backside he needed! the day after I gave him the knife he fitted a yew handle on his spoon blade! he's a furniture maker too and has access to loads of decent cured wood and workshop tools too mind!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE