Mabey, baby

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
In the unlikely event that this has passed anyone by, there's a new Gem edition of "Food for Free" available, so I picked a copy up. Very handy pocket size, nicely illustrated and with lots of colour photos. I haven't been able to test any recipes yet, although many are familiar. The only thing leaping straight off the page at me is that the fungi section does not exactly take any pains in alerting the reader to dangerous varieties; indeed, Mabey downplays the risk. I've never foraged for mushrooms because I'm waiting to take a course with someone who knows exactly what they are doing, but this strikes me as an approach rather at odds with other books. Any views on this, or on "Food for Free" itself?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
It sure is a collins gem :-D

Publisher: Collins; ISBN: 0007151721

(got this info from amazon.co.uk... they only have 2 left in stock, but more on the way)

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
For those who havn't read 'Food for Free' I suggest you get a copy. This is one of the best books.... if not 'the' best book on wild food in the UK. I have used my old copy for years... I was going to get the new(ish) hardback version as the food is in seasonal chapters.... but a little collins gem for the pack cannot be a bad thing.

Ed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
sounds like a good buy. I have picked up some really good books this year Roger Phillips (I think that’s his name) wild foods is good, I got it last week for £5 from a discount shop, that's the 4th book of his I have picked up in the last few months, all of them are good.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I recall that a French publisher once had to frantically recall and pulp copies of their illustrated dictionary. Apparently the typesetter had accidentally transposed the labels for the pictures of the Edible mushroom and the Death Cap....

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Doc said:
I recall that a French publisher once had to frantically recall and pulp copies of their illustrated dictionary. Apparently the typesetter had accidentally transposed the labels for the pictures of the Edible mushroom and the Death Cap....

If you ever go into a pahrmacy in a small French town or village, you'll see that there is a collection of model fungi. The idea is, that you take a sample to the pharmcists, who will tell you if you've got eaters or not.

The pahrmacists don't make these models themselves... there must be a company making and selling these models.

Keith.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Roger Philips guides are superb, good size (fits in bergen pockets) scaled photos of everything. Cross ref with other guides to get uses, but for ID they are the best.
FOOD FOR FREE a classic, and would recommenrd to anyone, the new edition however, contains a simple, but possibly deadly error (I think) has anyone else noticed it???
Neil1

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Neil1

As there are no replies to your post it would suggest that no one else has noticed. Maybe you should enlighten us, just in case one of us ends up dead through ignorance.
I for one would like to read your observation.

Cheers

JFW

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Not noticed it either ... :shock:

I'll have to compare the old edition and the new one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE