M65 jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Im thinking of buying this jacket and am wondering what people think of it. Im quite small, about 35-36in chest so are these jackets normally a bit on the big side? What is the material like (I think its 35% cotton /65% polyester) and are there any better jackets for the price? I have found one on ebay or around 40€ including p&p.

Cheers

Andy

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
for that price i dowt it will be the geuine one, but i have a £40 copy of it and it is great, very thick and very warm, as for the size check this out also for info on coats go to my thread
leon

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Andy,

You simply will not find a better made or priced jacket than the M65 field coat. It's one of those magnificent pieces of kit that are absolutely perfect.

65/35 cotton polyester on the M65 is done in a tight gabardine-style twill weave. It's very durable and if you treat it every so often with a waterproofing spray such as Grangers, you'll stay warm and dry in bad weather.

They have a hidden nylon hood in the collar, and if you purchase one with it's button in liner you'll probably even be too warm. Just make sure that you layer your clothing accordingly: base layer, thermal layer, and then the M65 as your outer layer.

My close friend Alex (brutha from a different mutha) has one, and I'm constantly trying to steal it from him. Go buy the jacket!

Adam

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Thanks for the advice guys :You_Rock_

Its something warm Im looking for - I nearly froze to death in the long winter last year. I have heard that it could be milder this year but Im not taking any chances.
I think the small size may be ok with plenty of room for layers underneath. All I need now is more money and a nice wooly jumper :lmao:

Cheers once again

Andy

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
There are surplus Craotian versions out on the market now..Not quite as good as the old US issue version but this is still a nice tough piece of kit..You can get them w/ and w/o the liner..One version has a perminet line and the other has a removable liner.....I have the version w/ the removable liner. Havnt given it its trial yet but it appears to be a sound piece of kit..

ES

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Im finally prepared for the winter.....My M65 jacket has just arrived :cool:

The only problem is that its cold enought to wear it in the morings/nights but too hot during the day.

Roll on Winter :D :nutkick:

Morrius

Oct 16, 2006
Bristol
I'm looking into buying an M65, I'd prefer an authentic one rather than a knock off. I can find plenty of different online outlets selling them, but I'm still unsure which to go with. Surplus and adventure seem a good bet. I was firstly hoping for some advice on which of their jackets would be the best value for money and give the best performance, and secondly if anyone knows of a cheaper place to get them!

Firstly, we have the regiment field jacket:

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2108591.html

I'm wondering if it would work out better to buy a seperate jacket and liner perhaps?

Secondly, the stonewashed m65:

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2108580.html

and thirdly, the good old vanilla m65:

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr1044.html

Besides the information on the site, can anyone shed some further light on the quality of these products and the difference between them?

Alternatively, I was considering a Germany army parka - but I can only find knee-length versions, and I'm a stubby git as it is! If anyone has seen a standard length parka, I'd love to know where.

Price isn't an issue so much as value - I don't mind what I pay as long as I get my moneys worth.

Thanks for your time :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i'm going shooting tommorow and as its been pretty cold round this way i will be wearing the m65
leon

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
As a general rule of thumb, if an ad says something like "...M-65 Style..." it is not the real thing. The real thing is usually listed as MILSPEC.

That said, somethings the "style" item is made by the same manufacturer as the milspec, or is an identical copy by another mfgr. Many times you get a real bargan buying something listed as "style," sometimes you get junk.

Let the buyer beware...

Morrius

Oct 16, 2006
Bristol
leon-b said:
it was £40 brand new off ebay
EDIT : here is the link, damn i paid £40 for mine
leon

Cool just ordered an XL olive m65. Can't really go wrong for £30. I'll need it soonish, I've got a trip planned in a fortnight!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
no thats not the real deal as in the item description it says m65 style
leon

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Raptordog said:
Would this be more like the real deal so to speak, or just another over priced sub-standard rip off. ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M65-REGIMENT-...59QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't mind paying the extra price tag if it is the quality item. :)

Ebay seller
Great M65-Army-Style outerwear jacket in a very
fashionable vintage look with repairs, holes and abrasions.
Coming with detachable fake fur cold weather liner,
4 snap-up pockets, heavy brass zipper (+ snap-up storm
flap), concealed hood, shoulder epaulets and waist-,
hood- & bottom-drawstrings for an adjustable fit.
Perfect for all outdoor activities!

Why would anybody buy a jacket that is already worn out? :confused:

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
The problem I found with the M65 jacket is that there are so many different types. You can get the obvious fashion ones with the words "Style" or "stone washed", there are also fake ones like mine (I bought the cheapest that I could find and its fine), and there are also used Croatian etc.... army jackets that have exactly the same material as my replica. I believe that the original us M65 jacket has a different material mix than 65%polyester and 35% cotton. I'm not too sure though....its been a while since I researched this.

Seriously the fake m65 is ok, when you don't get a fashion one thats full of holes :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

Andy

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i had one years ago sounds mad but it was a bit too warm for me anyway
if your on the move ok if your standing about
the copys tend to have brass zips US ones are coated with something
mine ended up used for work -welding it was like a tea bag after a bit
fire proof i'll give them that
am sure SOF sell the the US ones but there more than £40
karl

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
kb31 said:
i had one years ago sounds mad but it was a bit too warm for me anyway
if your on the move ok if your standing about
the copys tend to have brass zips US ones are coated with something
mine ended up used for work -welding it was like a tea bag after a bit
fire proof i'll give them that
am sure SOF sell the the US ones but there more than £40
karl

Thats very true, every day that I have had the lining in I have been too hot, and thats with -2 degrees. I'm sure it will come into its own when it gets really cold :theyareon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE