LRDG Truck

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was watching a TV show about desert warfare. And they were discussing the British Long Range Desert Group in WW2. And they showed a picture of their cool truck they used. In fact, it was this truck:
35092.jpg

That would make a cool bushcrafti vehicle. Me personally, I'd dump the mounted vickers MG and replace it with a G.E. Mini-Gun :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
BIG-TARGET said:
That would make a cool bushcrafti vehicle. Me personally, I'd dump the mounted vickers MG and replace it with a G.E. Mini-Gun :biggthump
Surely you mean this one :twisted: :nana: :rolmao:

No seriously, a good bushcraft vehicle IMO would be an APC . Great vehicle, drinks a lot, weighs a lot, costs a lot, and satisfies a lot! :D

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Andy,

Having driven the APC in a number of places including Bosnia I can say they are a complete pig to drive, you steer using 2 sticks and break by pulling them both back at the same time. Give me a Landrover or Warrior any time.

Brian

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
im a bit confused why does a bushcrafter need a armored car or a machine gun?

arnt the ones used in Northern Ireland just Defenders with armor? :?:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
we used to disconnect the personel heater hose from were it attached to floor, stick our c-ration cans inside it and they'd get toasty hot. plenty of room to sting up my hammock inside, otherwise a worthless piece of junk!!. you know what a.p.c. stands for?? --- anonamous personel coffin!!, only someone whose never pulled maint. on a tracked vehicle would want one , but still my idea of the great bushcrafty vehicle is that tracked job the s.a.s. use's for artic ops. cant remember its name ,think its made in sweden. sweeeeeeeeet

leon-1

Great Pebble said:
It's one of these you want....

20FM80r.jpg

Nick, that is not a SIMBA, it is not one of the latest either. The new Wolf type lannie is one of the best IMO and I have worked with Lannie's from some of the old ones in 1965 upto the weapons platforms in 1999,

"20mm Giat" is a beast, as are twin 0.5 cal's, one major problem, what have they in the long term to do with bushcraft :?:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
leon-1 said:
Nick, that is not a SIMBA, it is not one of the latest either. The new Wolf type lannie is one of the best IMO and I have worked with Lannie's from some of the old ones in 1965 upto the weapons platforms in 1999,

"20mm Giat" is a beast, as are twin 0.5 cal's, one major problem, what have they in the long term to do with bushcraft :?:

Mmmm. Wolf :naughty:

Martin

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
There ain't any SIMBA's left :(
Tried very hard with the assistance of my local club and the backing of some fairly high ranking local rozzers to get at least one out into private hands for history's sake - no dice. It's possible Police workshops will hold onto one for posterity, hope so.

A Wolf would be nice, but as I could probably buy a wee shooting cottage in the sticks for the same money as the few that have come out have changed hands for I'll have to pass for a while.

The Lightweight is my favourite LR, looks wise at least, and I was lucky enough to get that one at decent money.

With apologies for the non-bushcraftyness.... (One of) the last of the SIMBAs
simba.jpg

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reading back through the posts I realise there's a bit of confusion...

Somebody mentioned the vehicles in use over here and then I posted a pic of my own LR.... oops.

For the record the Landies in N.I have included...

Shorland - Relatively heavily armoured SIII, often with turret from Ferret armoured car fitted. It was originally made by Shorts in Belfast and spawned a series of sucessors which are still manufactured for export.

SIII VPK - A Series III with a "Vehicle Protection Kit" light applique armour, sometimes (wrongly) referred to as "Makrolan". A similar kit was produced for the Lightweight.

APV - Early plastic armoured Defender, didn't last too long as they were massively expensive.

CAV - "Courtalds Armoured Vehicle" Defender with a plastic armour shell, remarkably moulded in only two major pieces. Still in use.

Both APV & CAV are colloquially known as "Snatch"

The above were used by the Army, with the exception of the Shorland which also saw service with the RUC.

Hotspur - Steel armoured, based on a 109 Stage 1 V8

Simba - As above but with widened chassis and spaced steel armour.

Tangi - Composite armour, based on 110, remains in service with PSNI

Tenba - Basically a "Simba-ized" 110, very few built.

All of that group were used by the RUC/PSNI.

Other, non-LR armoured vehicles have included the Humber Pig, Alvis Saracen, Daimler Ferret, Alvis Saladin, GKN Saxon and the somewhat odd Chevrolet Tavern, both Saxon and Tavern are still around though in very limited numbers these days given the situation.

Apologies, again to anyone distressed by the non-bushcraftyness. LR's tend to get me talking.

Kvitulf

Jan 7, 2005
Northern Norway
Sry for the hijack :nana:

Traumatized my buttocks from being stuck in the back car for almost 24h during an excersise in a 206....

HAGGLUND BV206 is used by the Royal Norwegian military, but the spec ops/sas model is probably a bit souped ut :super: especially with a 50. cal heavy machine gun in the front wagfon and a box full of Kongsberg multipurpose shells/bullets :eek:): http://www.haaland.info/norway/recon/bilder/bv206frm.jpg

Sexy pics:

With Tow: http://www.speq.it/album/bw_tow.jpg

Not fun to be unskilled here(been there, and HATED it!) : http://news.mod.uk/img/pressdatabase/images/supportingImages/large/minaf_bv206_tn.jpg
Evolutionized and more battle orientated than the 206:

http://www.haaland.info/norway/storm/index.html

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Made by Hagglunds, now Alvis Hagglunds www.haggve.se
A good site for info is www.bv206.co.uk.
The latest is the Viking, or Bvs10. I have seen both Bv206 and Bvs10 on dartmoor, they are wonderful vehicles but dartmoor hardly tests them. Also the environment people get all tied in a knot about the damage they do to the ground. Not a good town car folks it has an 8 metre turning circle and weighs 2.5 tons :biggthump

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Great Pebble said:
Other, non-LR armoured vehicles have included the Humber Pig, Alvis Saracen, Daimler Ferret, Alvis Saladin, GKN Saxon and the somewhat odd Chevrolet Tavern, both Saxon and Tavern are still around though in very limited numbers these days given the situation.

Apologies, again to anyone distressed by the non-bushcraftyness. LR's tend to get me talking.
:yikes: Not the Saxon. The big wheeled death trap what packs the punch of a banana. :drive:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE