lowa boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi everyone i am new here & too bushcraft i am after a descent pair of boots and cant afford too buy twice..i am interested in the lowa boots..anyone no if these are anygood
first up is the

Lowa Non Gore-tex lined Patrol Boot...
lowa-patrol-boot2.jpg

Lowa Supercamp Boot (Non Gore-Tex Lined) Leather lined
lowa-supercamp-boot.jpg

any help would be superb thanx shogun

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I think the german army surplus mountain boots that I own are made by Lowa.
Great quality,and loads cheaper than Lowas if you can find grade 1 surplus!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Shogun.

I have a pair of Lowa Mountain GTX which are similar to the Supercamps but with a Goretex Lining.

They are superb boots very comfy and I found they needed no breaking in... I did 20 miles on Dartmoor a day after buying them and all was fine.

If I was to buy Lowa boots again I'd go for the Supercamps as one thing I do find is that once you get water over the tops such as in stream / river crossings (which are pretty frequent here in NZ) the Goretex liner takes a good while to dry out. The none GTX lining would be quicker to dry. I've mated mine to a pair of Yeti Gaiters which has been a great combination...

They are good in snow and not overly stiff. I found they take a 10 point articulated crampon ( Black Diamond Contact) well. They are also good to scramble in. Lowa's construction is really good. I ditched the supplied foot beds and use some superfeet insoles. One thing I would say about the GTX lined boots is in dry warm condtions your feet sweat lots in them My Yeti Gaiters dont help with this either but I reckon the Supercamps would be way better in this regard.

Hope this helps

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
i've got the supercamps and they are excellent, i only use polish for treating them and they don't leak.

comfy, breathable, nothing to go wrong.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've got a surplus pair of the mountain boot (goretex) made under licence by Haix for Lowa. Excellent boot imo. Buy them, you won't go far wrong with them.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've got a pair of the Combat GTXs, been wearing them every day since I bought them... They're coming up due for their first resole, but the uppers are still in great nick (practically as new except for some scuffs on the toes) and I expect them to last for many years to come. Took a bit of breaking in but they're very comfy now. I don't find sweat to be a problem in them, but then I've been wearing gortex lined boots for donkey's years without issue. I guess I just have less sweaty feet than some...

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I've been using a pair of Lowa GTX mountain boots for nearly 2 years now for stalking and can't recommend them highly enough, i also purchased a pair of Sealz-Skinz Trekking socks at the same time, which are a bit pricey but in severely cold weather the combo is bulletproof IMHO

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
thanx everyone for the info i am off too glasgow in an hour or so..so i will see what they have in stock but i reckon i cant go wrong with a pair of lowa boots..all the best shogun

rancid badger

But:
The GTX mountain boot is very slippy on slimey rock-puzzling as its meant for mountains:confused:

Excellent in every other aspect, mind you-quality, comfort, ruggedness etc etc.

I've often wondered if I got a pair with defective or indeed-wrong, sole units but there are several people on here and elsewhere who have made the same comments about grip.

I had German Army surplus lowa's for years before buying new, wish I could find some decent old ones for scratting about.

R.B.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've found mine to be ok on Wet or greasey rock but TBH had covered a few K in them before I went Scrambling... i guess if they are fresh out of the mould the soles are quite slick....

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Meh - all Vibram-soled boots are rubbish on wet rock. The Lowas are no better or worse in this regard than any others. The only boots (other than actual climbing shoes) I've found which are significantly better are Salomons with their Contactgrip soles.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Check out the Ranger GTX boots they are amazing boots I really love mine...Lowa should be a trusted brand I think they used to make the British army boots!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
lowas get a double thumbs up from me - i bought a pair about 6 months ago and i simply will not be buying another make of boots from now on.

extremely comfy and they are hand made too!

andy

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
right everyone here is an update of my progress of buying first pair boots.i went too a place in glasgow called adventure 1..tryed on some lowa combat gtx..but when walking my heel kept sliding in boot..so i went too tiso and tryed the meindl burma pro gtx..these boots felt excellent dosent feel if these while need broken in...so what does everyone think of meindl boots cheers shogun..

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
right everyone here is an update of my progress of buying first pair boots.i went too a place in glasgow called adventure 1..tryed on some lowa combat gtx..but when walking my heel kept sliding in boot..so i went too tiso and tryed the meindl burma pro gtx..these boots felt excellent dosent feel if these while need broken in...so what does everyone think of meindl boots cheers shogun..

did't realise you were in glasgow mate.

adventure 1 and tiso are both good shops.

i got my lowas in adventure 1. - the first pair i tried on slipped about as well. -might be worth trying a 1/2 size smaller.

as for meindl - they are supposed to be very good too - though i have never worn any.
andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE