Looking for Luxe Outdoor tents comparisons, and opinions (Mini/Hex/Trail Peak)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey folks,
I am interested in possibly getting a new 1 or 2 man tent for my camping adventures, and I am now pretty much exlcusively looking at UL gear as I'm sick of carrying so much weight! (I could lose 10bs too...)

So, I've been doing a bit of searching, and like the single pole tents like those offered from Luxe Outdoor. And I now see that they have a luxeoutdoor.ca Canadian distribution setup! Woohoo!

So, I like the trail peak, but it is a little heavy. I like the mini peak as it seems easy to setup with say 7 pegs and very light! I also like the hex, but it seems like there a lot of guy out points and it could be a pain to setup. Does anyone know if they sell a second nest/inner tent for the mini peak to convert it to a 2 person?

Anyway, I've done some searching and have a good bit of info from the forums, backpackinglight, luxe's site, and youtube, but would like to hear some honest comparisons of these 3 models. Thanks in advance!

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I have the Sil-Minipeak and it's an awesome tent. You can save about 500g removing the inner as well and just use a small polycro or tyvek ground sheet etc. I originally got the minipeak as I wanted to move on from coffin style tents like the Zephyros/Akto etc and get a tent that had more space but at same time was lighter.

I have however got a MLD Trailstar on order now and if you're looking for a lightweight but spacious tent you should seriously consider it. :)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I have the original (ripstop) Minipeak II and the Sil Hex Peak. The MP is a great shelter and a 2 person inner is available, but there won't be any storage space when used as a 2 person shelter.

The HP has a more internal space inside the inner and a very slightly smaller vestibule. No 2 person inner is available yet. The MP has a mozzie proof inner and the HP has a midge proof inner.

The MP is easier to erect and fit the inner. The HP requires far more pegs but still needs additional points (IMO). The HP needs 15 or so pegs!

If I were buying again I would just go with the Sil Mini Peak if weight is important (200g lighter than the ripstop).

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118413&page=3&highlight=peak

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84118&highlight=luxe+minipeak

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I have the original (ripstop) Minipeak II and the Sil Hex Peak. The MP is a great shelter and a 2 person inner is available, but there won't be any storage space when used as a 2 person shelter.

The HP has a more internal space inside the inner and a very slightly smaller vestibule. No 2 person inner is available yet. The MP has a mozzie proof inner and the HP has a midge proof inner.

The MP is easier to erect and fit the inner. The HP requires far more pegs but still needs additional points (IMO). The HP needs 15 or so pegs!

If I were buying again I would just go with the Sil Mini Peak if weight is important (200g lighter than the ripstop).

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118413&page=3&highlight=peak

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84118&highlight=luxe+minipeak

Unfortunately it looks like the Sil-Minipeak has been discontinued and not available any more.

Thanks guys this is a great start, keep em coming!

I should mention that where I live the fewer pegs the better as the ground is quite tough in places. Glaciers removed most of the soil from Newfoundland way back :) For this reason I was thinking more the MP than the HP as from what I read the Hex required lots of pegs as you mentioned. I see 3 different versions of the MiniPeak, does anyone know the difference between original, II, and Sil? I know Sil obviously is sil nylon and only has one door. Anything else? And what order did they come out in?

If anyone has a Minipeak with a double inner, care to share some photos?

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
In that case you should try and find a second hand Sil-minipeak or a seller who still has stock of them as you only need 4 pegs for pain tent. Additional 3 are for guy lines so max of 7.

They come out in Minipeak, Minipeak II and then Sil-minipeak.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I dont have one,but have also been looking at one for a while now.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118413&page=3

Might have already seen it, but some good pictures/videos of the Hex in that thread.
And according to the Backpacking Light site, the Sil-mini peak has been discontinued.

Also, would anyone happen to know roughly what size you could pack the hex down to? My Zephyros fills a 8litre dry bag quite well, so wondering if there is much difference.

I've been told by the Canadian distributor that Sil-MiniPeak is still available to order. :)

I think I'm pretty sold on the MiniPeak. Hex has way too many tie points for our terrain in eastern Newfoundland. Looking at Mini or Trail Peaks now, and I think it is going to be the mini, with the extra double person inner. Trail isn't much lighter than my current tent.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I've been told by the Canadian distributor that Sil-MiniPeak is still available to order. :)

I think I'm pretty sold on the MiniPeak. Hex has way too many tie points for our terrain in eastern Newfoundland. Looking at Mini or Trail Peaks now, and I think it is going to be the mini, with the extra double person inner. Trail isn't much lighter than my current tent.

Yeah the MP is a good one. Minimum of 4 pegs, max of 10 (4 corners , 3 sides and 3 guys).

That is odd... I just got an email back from distributor informing me that the duo inner tent listed on backpackinglight's site here does not fit the Sil-MiniPeak, only the MiniPeak II. However backpacking light says it fits both and I'm pretty sure the Sil and the II versions are virtually identical in size. So what is the issue I wonder?

Anyone tried this?

Don't see why it wouldnt, its virtually same except for lack of 2nd door, material and vent straps.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Yeah the MP is a good one. Minimum of 4 pegs, max of 10 (4 corners , 3 sides and 3 guys).

Don't see why it wouldnt, its virtually same except for lack of 2nd door, material and vent straps.

Think the sil mini peak has a little "wall" around the bottom edge as well if you get what i mean?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE