look what I got my son for his birthday ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
PSP? X-box? DS? nooooo....

He's been hassling me for a pet of his own for years; we've quite a menagerie, but they're all mine. He loves to climb out of his bedroom window and sit on the flat roof below reading a book, so I thought I'd get him some company... two pairs of white doves:
IMG_2715e.jpg

IMG_2717e.jpg

Robin's rather busy at the moment, so the dovecote was an ebay purchase. It's rather beautiful though, I guess it might have been imported from Eastern Europe? We have to keep the net on for about a month until they decide this is their new home.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome gift!

Silly question but how did you find out about the netting in thing? What a fascinating subject and one I had never thought of. When we get the farm, the idea of establishing a dovecot (for its original purpose) intrigues me!

Red

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
that is kool, even the fact he can climb out his window and sit is really cool.

so have they flew into the house yet?

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Silly question but how did you find out about the netting in thing?
Google ... where else? The pigeon fanciers themselves are rather secretive. I think there's a lot of problems with theft from lofts so none of them will reveal their locations and it's all mobile phone numbers. The first bloke I got onto seemed decidedly dodgy so I had to look for another. The next one was great, really helpful and sold us young birds (just fledged) so they are more likely to home more quickly. The trick then is to just let one out so it won't go far and comes back to the others. They take it in turns to go out for a bit, then you have to take the net off completely and hope for the best!

so have they flew into the house yet?
Not yet, but it'll happen I'm sure! He's under strict instructions to keep his bedroom door shut to keep the cat out of the way...

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
This weekend I've had two things that have really cheered me up involving kids being nice and doing stuff they should be.

That was one of them. Thanks for that.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
There's nothing nicer than a dovecote in your garden i'll post some pics of mine tommorow,the hard part is keeping the dove's,as a dominant cock will run off all the other pairs,if there is a farm near by the birds run off will stay with the ferals on the farm .I started with 4 pairs and have only 1 pair now,the cock has just run off the pair that he has just raised, and there now down on eggs again.

bernie

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
My son has been performing a magic act for about a year, worked nearly two years on practice before he started on stage.

He wants to start working with doves now. I'll have to show him this and see what he says.

I like the idea of young men doing things outdoors and with animals instead of being tied to the TV and gameboy.

Praises to you and the boy!

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
That is an amazing thing to get your son, he looks really content sitting there aswell. I would've loved something like this hen i was younger but i did recieve old motorbikes from my father so shouldn't complain. Not enough young people are getting into hobbies like yours and enjoying simpler things like wildlife and keeping birds etc.. to busy with their spectrums and commodores these days!!! Good for you i say and i hope he stays as content as he looks.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Absolutely great. A young lad doing what young lads should be doing, climbing on roof, having pets, doing outdoors things. Would be good if more parents were like you. :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
One month on and the big day today ... we took the netting off :eek: They've had a little fly around, been up on the roof of the house and over to the roof of the office then come back down to the porch roof for some grub. I think it's all going to be fine :)

Wow, nice present. The Current Mrs Psitt would have a fit if I brought that home! Although she is fairly happy for me to bring dead birds home and is considering chickens that would be a step to far. She goes mad when I bird gets trapped in the shed!. Really nice idea..

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I don' know which would rive my other half more mad:

The 'use' of the roof or the birds. :D

I think it's fab though. I hope my kids have a similar upbringing to yours Nicola. ;)

Are you not worried they're going to multiply like mad though or is it some little plot to supplement dinner? :eek: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE