Long term review of Le Chameau Mouflon hunting boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Thought I'd pass on some thoughts on a pair of hiking/hunting boots. As usual I do not have any connection whatsoever with the manufacturer, etc.

I've owned a number of walking boots in the past from various makers but none lasted longer than a year; I learnt that one should not read a review on new boots! Therefore I provide a review of a pair of boots that have been worn for at least five years in all seasons and in most terrains and habitats, bar mountain (unfortunately).

Back then I bought a pair of Le Chameau Mouflons on the back of a review by (fellow member I believe) John Fenna in his write-up in Gun Mart. The boots are of full grain leather outers, have a Goretex liner, an all-round rubber rand, a vibram sole, and a relatively high calf. I would guess that since buying them (£140 discount) I have covered about 2,000 miles in that time.

First out, they did not need any breaking in. They fitted well and were very comfortable. In the first few years I treated the leather every now and then with Clarks leather restorer to keep the leather supple (which seemed to work). However, laziness meant that I often went for long periods (up to 6 months) without treating them! Nonetheless, after 5 or so years the only cracking (not splitting) of the leather was at the stress bend between the top of the foot and the toes, where it usually goes. I suspect that if I kept the maintenance up, the leather in this part would still be good. The rest of the leather is in very good condition, and especially so considering the abuse they have taken.

Despite being abraded, the rand has remained intact. It has worn down a bit around the toes as one would expect but it has not peeled off. In fact it was only a couple of months ago that a crack appeared just above one of the heels. On close inspection this turn out to be a stress crack from where the boot flexed a little. Nonetheless, it has not peeled away from the leather and the leather visible through the crack is 'as-new'.

The Goretex remained waterproof for about three years. Both liners have since developed minor leaks but these are not enough to allow in copious amounts of water. Merely damp patches on the socks that could be mistaken for sweat. In fact they dry off fairly quickly after I've galloped through streams. With regard to sweating I never found this a problem, even during the high temperatures of a southern heathland or a couple of trips to Cyprus. In such conditions my feet got rather warm but at the very worst there were some sweat patches but most of the time my feet were dry. This was pretty good as I have never cleaned out the insides as one should with Goretex. Also the boots rarely smelled and any smell (of damp leather and sock, and mild at worst) would disappear when the boot dried out. Thankfully, I don't have smelly feet but I have worn footwear which didn't do much good to one's confidence shall we say. These boots aren't amongst them. In cold conditions my feet have not gotten overly cold at all. The times that they have is more of a result of tight lacing restricting blood flow than anything else.

The 'lining' (the bit that covers the top) of the right inner sole quickly dettached itself after a few months but the one on the left sole is still attached. The inner soles themselves have remain entirely intact.

With regard to build quality only the leather has cracked at the stress points above the toes and a superficial crack appear in the rand above one heel, as said above. No seams have frayed. No buckles have come off (and they don't rust). My feet have worn no holes inside the boots. And I'm still using the same laces that the boots came with. The laces are flat as well which means they don't come undone as quickly as round ones do.

With regard to lacing they are very quick and easy to lace up. The lower three sets of ring buckles allow you to easily pull the laces through. It is then an easy case of looping the laces around the remaining hooks. Very easy - none of this so-called 'speed lacing system' which I find isn't as speedy as that found on the Le Chameau boots.

The vibram sole works well. I get excellent grip on bare rocks and is very good on wet rock generally, but wet smooth rock with lichen (and slug slime) is a different matter but I don't think a boot exists that copes with those slimy conditions. Underfoot feel is just about right for me. The sole is fairly stiff and the feel of the terrain is not readily apparent (which I like) but they feel sure underfoot. To elaborate more on feel; I would not drive a car in them but I can and do drive a pick-up with absolutely no problem. The wear rate has been very good. There is still plenty of tread on them and I feel that they could go on for another 3,000 to 5,000 miles probably a lot longer, at least where I go anyway.

Comfort wise they have never given me any problems. However, I must stress that everyones feet are different so these are views based on my feet! They have felt comfy since new and any breaking-in during the initial period has not changed that. There has been no chaffing let alone anything like blisters. After long hikes my feet have gotten tired but that may be more to do with the distance and foot stamina than the boots themselves. I have never rolled an ankle - the heel support and high calf provide good support. I have never experienced any pain.

To summarise, these hunting boots have been built to last and can be used in a variety of situations. They are apparently not designed as a hiking boot per se but my experience suggests that they cover this aspect without thinking about it. I wouldn't class them as a mountain boot so I'll leave it to someone else to experiment in the snowfields and with crampons but it might be pushing the design limit.

I don't know how they compare with more 'modern', specifically designed hiking boots or mountain boots from the likes of reknowned makers like La Sportiva or Meindl (although I'll be getting a pair at some stage so...) but I would think they were up there with the best.

Their website is www.lechameau.co.uk. and cost about £165 at most retailers.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Steve.

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
i'll second what scrubcutter has said about these boots, ive had two pairs, not because they were worn out but due to my feet still growing. I bought my first pair about 4 odd years ago and then my feet grew two sizes so i got another pair, both are in excellent condition even after serious abuse day in day out.

The support given when climbing steep hills is amazing as is the grip as already said, i wouldnt hesitate to buy another pair if i had to, no other boot i'va had has lasted anywhere near as long or a faultlessy(sp)

Although next time i think id get the mouflon plus which comes half way up your calf.

Great review scrubcutter

Mark

No connection with le chameau etc etc

udamiano

On a new journey
I've had a pair of Mouflon plus high boots for 5 years, I've walked the penine way in then in June this year, the south west coastal path last year, and they still are going strong, I will buy another pair when these finally die (may that be a long time yet) I paid £240 for them, which I thought at the time a huge cost, but now consider worth every penny.

Good review

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE