long bow wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
what kind of wood is best to make a long bow from? I know that Yew is the best but i dont have much of that.

Would Ash work well?

I made a sycamore long bow but it bends and then keeps its shape making the power behind the string smaller.

If i were to make a bow from Yew should the wood be cut fresh or should i get a dead branch?

thanks!

Jon

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am no archer or bow maker but ash is springy and i have heard that it is good for bows
leon

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
The longbow design favours yew but ash will work well if you make it a little wider and of a more rectangular cross section. If you have access to yew I would save it until you have made a few practice bows. You need the wood to be seasoned or it will take alot of set.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
I am about to make a longbow using a combined Walnut and Ash laminated stave... the bow is mainly walnut, but backed with a strip of ash for elasticity :)

making my flatbow from one at the mo... will be starting the longbow later in the month :)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
jason sears said:
i have been told that the best bows are made from italian yew

Of course it was Spanish Yew that was used for most ELBs. It was imported by way of a Tax on trading vessels.

To be honest, you can make abow from almost any hardwood, and I have successfully made a few ELBs from Oak, and am in the middle of one now.

Ash is good, Elm also...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Woods Wanderer said:
i read that hazel was somtimes uses in longbows i use it for arrows but for a bow i wouldnt feel so guilty cutting it down

Hazel is not a good bow wood. Not dense enough and will take a great deal of set. Okay for arras tho'... ;)

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
You can use english yew taxus bacarta but it tends to be too fast-growing in this country. I have heard that some of the yew growing down towards the south coast on limestone can make a good bow but it is hard to find, requiring a 6' plus stave with as few knots and pins as possible. The best alternative is to use ash - you can use kiln dried boards from your local builders merchant; ideally look for at least 2"X2"X6' dimensions with as straight a grain as possible. Another good native bow wood is wych elm ulmus glabra but it is harder to find. If you are feeling well off check out this website - they sell purpose split ash bow staves and glued-up laminate staves:
www.diyarchery.co.uk

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep Ash works well, though my first bow finally gave way this weekend after about 5 years regular use, horrible cracking sound as I drew it, let it down unbraced it and sure enough a hairline crack has appeared in the lower limb, don't think I'll string that one again!!!
Good air dried ash tends to be better than kiln dried in my experience, follows the string a bit less
Cheers
David

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Lemonwood is good for longbows, has been used since the 19th century. It'll need a backing of some sort, hickory, rawhide or linen. It isn't the best wood for a highly strained design as it tends to take a fair bit of set (or just explode, and no, I don't wish to talk about it :eek: ). But for a longbow or flatbow its nice enough. And it doesn't steam bend well so not good for recurves.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Chaps,

Can anyone advise whether Rowan would be suitable as bow material? Please forgive my total numptyness as I don't have a clue about bow construction but fancy a go.

I ask about Rowan as I have one growing on my allotment that appears to have been cut a few years back and seems to have had a coppice effect and now there are a few nice shoots a couple of meters high and a couple of inch girth.

Thanks.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Rowan/ Mountain Ash should work well enough....Ash was always a second line bow wod, and I have used it a couple of times now with good results...

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Rowan is supposed to be excellent. I've never had the chance to harvest any myself.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks for the replies chaps. Unfortunately I have been to the allotment today and checked out my rowan properly with an eye to bow material. Seems my minds eye thought that the shoots were thicker than what they really are. I did however, take a perfect bow piece that I used for the chickens roost which you can see if you follow the link on my sig then check out the photo's on my allotment page. If I can find a suitable replacement for the roost then maybe I'm on for some rowan bow building. Eyes peeled ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE