Lone females in woodland - dangerous?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earth Mother

May 15, 2005
Kent
A bit of a dodgey title but there you go ;) I had a great day today thanks to the manager of Rosswood Scout campsite. He allowed me access to the relatively secure woodland within the site so that I could feel safe to go about my bushcraft pottering - I'm really grateful for that but would hate to impose too often. I feel really vulnerable walking in isolated places as a lone female and was wondering if you have any suggestions as to how or where I could enjoy my hobby safely.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Just be aware of the area you're going into really, if it ajoins a 'dodgy' estate or trouble spot. Let someone know when and where you're going. Awareness is a must, wherever and whenever you're walking. Know whose around if anybody is, where they are in relation to you and if they continue on their own way or get a bit too interested in what you're doing. But I would ask the question, why do you feel vulnerable? Is it something in nature you fear, how you feel when you're alone within it, or do you fear meeting someone who may do you harm? Statistically, men are far more open to violent attacks than women are, but the media...curse them...perpetuate the whole, women are vulnerable, are always getting attacked and you can't possibly be out on your own without being vulnerable. Not true, women are incredibly powerful whether they're out on their own or out with others. Let's face it, getting run over is something far more likely (which I'm hoping will never happen - to either of us!!!) Attitude is also essential, and the state of mind you're in when you go out. If you walk confidently wherever you are, then that's what you're telling the world, I'm a confident person, not a vulnerable one.

Hope I read you're original post correctly??

Enjoy crafting!! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Know your area.
Take a dog (for a walk)
Go with a friend.
Carry a small pack and a pocket guide plant book.....you just look like someone collecting for something 'arty'
Don't wear overtly *camouflage* clothing, but quiet colours allow you to blend in gently.
In a new area wear a hiking style cagoul, you're obviously just out for a walk.
Go and do a police sponsored self defence course.
Be Aware, but not jumpy.

Any of the above make things a little easier & you look as though you belong there and that makes you unremarkable.
I'm 46 & I won't bivvi out by myself even now, silly isn't it?
Most attacks on women are in their own homes, very few are by strangers, most people you meet are decent folks who would go out of their way to help rather than hurt, but we're still cautious. Men are too though, and fewer of them like to admit to feeling scared, worried, or concerned for their safety.

My biggest scare was about half a mile from my own home, re-tracing my steps up from a deep pool I found myself surrounded by a dozen adult sized teenage boys high as kites on booze and dope. I didn't confront them, just quietly 'excuse me'd' my way up to the pathway and then as the comments got really ribald slipped quietly into the woodland and onto the path home. Not funny :( Met a neighbour walking his dog and walked home with them.
I just wasn't paying enough attention to who was about and what time it was.
Be well,
Toddy

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
women are far less of a target for a few reasons, when they are the chances of it being violent are far less.
Most crime is driven by money rather then anything else, out in the woods wheer your on your own peopel wouldn't bother going just to mug someone as they aren't as likely to find anyone to mug.

After having two incidents in one week I decided to investigate personal attack alarms. Ross (a policeman on britishblades) recommended a criminal marker. I got one from ebay here (for £1 more I might add)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20589&item=5978825719&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I think it's a better option for in the woods as a load noise might not bother someone out ther anyway

I have a bunch of photos I took of the spray for a mini review, at the moment I can't get them on the net but I'll try and sort it next week if you want

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Toddy said:
Know your area.
Take a dog (for a walk)
Go with a friend.
Carry a small pack and a pocket guide plant book.....you just look like someone collecting for something 'arty'
Don't wear overtly *camouflage* clothing, but quiet colours allow you to blend in gently.
Be Aware, but not jumpy.
And more importantly, bring a double bit axe. :D :D

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Toddy said:
Know your area.
Take a dog (for a walk)
Go with a friend.
Be Aware, but not jumpy.

Toddy

Toddy's right, blend in, be relaxed and aware. Mmm, lots of teenagers, high as kites, in a wood, what a nice surprise...! :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
TheViking said:
And more importantly, bring a double bit axe. :D :D

Well there is that :) Personally I fancy the double barrelled shotgun approach myself :D I was offered a lady's handbag pistol but reckoned I'd really have trouble explaining that one ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Toddy said:
Well there is that :) Personally I fancy the double barrelled shotgun approach myself :D I was offered a lady's handbag pistol but reckoned I'd really have trouble explaining that one ;)

Cheers,
Toddy
Go for the pistol, but make sure you can use it or leave it at home!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Forgot to mention

I've spent quite a long time going through ways of making it harder for people to mug you. Since people have tried more then once but never succeded I think they help. (this is mostly with the police)
A lot of it isn't so useful for the bushcraft setting I wont go into it but the object was making it easier for you to see and hear other people in order to prevent them coming within striking range in the first place. In bushcraft you don't have so much background noise and wont have an Ipod in your lug holes your going to notice sooner anyway.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Only enough I had a similar problem, not one of worrying about being attacked (god help the attacker) but one of being viewed with suspicion.

I lone man wandering in the eoods wearing drab clothes - in todays sad world how many peole would view him as a threat, a pervert or worse?

It was a concern of mine and so much so that I not only take my dog to the woods every time (not that he minds) but I also drag along one of my kids!

That said I just pictured a male brushcraft wandering the woods spotting a lone female bushcraft and both of them nervously flitting about avoiding each other for fear of the other - great little world we now live in eh, once upon a time two strangers passing on a trail would have said hello, shared news of events from where they had come, maybe even traded a skill or tool - now we cant trust anybody, women cant feel safe in the woods, men worry about being labelled a pervet ---- lovely little PC world!

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Gary said:
once upon a time two strangers passing on a trail would have said hello, shared news of events from where they had come, maybe even traded a skill or tool - now we cant trust anybody, women cant feel safe in the woods, men worry about being labelled a pervet ---- lovely little PC world!

i do always try and say hello or acknowledge people of i am walking in the woods or the countryside; i think this comes from me growing up in a village, and it was the done thing to do when you saw someone else on a foot path etc.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Mobile phone is always good for peace of mind if nothing else.
I'd imagine though that the majority of woodland is safer than the majority of the urban or even sunurban sprawl.

It's the fact that the environment is different to you that makes it seem scarier, it works both ways.

I just take SWMBO. She scary.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That said I just pictured a male brushcraft wandering the woods spotting a lone female bushcraft and both of them nervously flitting about avoiding each other for fear of the other - great little world we now live in eh, once upon a time two strangers passing on a trail would have said hello, shared news of events from where they had come, maybe even traded a skill or tool - now we cant trust anybody, women cant feel safe in the woods, men worry about being labelled a pervet ---- lovely little PC world![/QUOTE]

I usually say hello or at least acknowledge everyone I meet.....hey, I live in a village, if I ignore someone it looks like I'm being snooty.....and our nearest city, Glasgow, is full of people who will cheerfully have hour long conversations with complete strangers they'll never meet again, but the atmosphere (vibes?) from some people is very off putting, especially when you meet them solitary in woodlands. Most furtive fellas are just laying snares I find :) I did meet a very peculiar man recently though who asked me about dogging. I calmly replied that we had very little problem with the schoolchildren. He looked absolutely stunned. I mentioned it later to a friend who tied himself in granny knots laughing and when he could draw breath he explained that skipping school *wasn't* what the manny had meant :eek: Well, *I *didn't know!

Maybe this post ought to be mod-ed, sorry guys. :(
Cheers,
Toddy

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Lol.

I always have more problems with people in my immediate vacinity than anywhere else, like my neighbour (a small, strange little man) who having done some very dubious things in the past (for which I got him VERY arrested) asks me to marry him every six months or so. The last note I got from him actually specified the church and the honeymoon location... :eek: :D

However, I digress. The woods I go to, everybody is pretty friendly and there are loads of dog walkers. It's a 'middle class' sort of a wood!!! If you know what I mean. However, a parnoid habit I have, although I'm not sure why, is if I see a man with a dog lead, I always like to check to see if he has actually got a dog with him. As if that makes him less suspicious or something...?

Earth Mother

May 15, 2005
Kent
Thankyou so much, I feel so much calmer now. My fear isn't of nature (even though I was sitting under my tarp with a thunder storm raging above me earlier today) but of the worry of an attack. The newspapers certainly don't help the situation as Kim mentioned, but rather make many people nervous about walking in our beautiful homeland. I had never thought that men on occasion feel uncomfortable too and this, strangely, is of some comfort too. I'll take all the advice offered and walk confidently (and with an axe) in known places. Cheers guys - you're great! :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE