London - Wild City, Richard Mabey et al

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
More 'gardens' than 'bushcraft' but I'm sure there's a bit of crossover :)

I've just found this, so it may be too late to get tickets (sorry!). However I'm
quite pleased to have found another source of information on lectures, for
the future. One to add to my little list!

Events listing from the Museum of Garden History

Monday 14th May 2007
London - Wild City
DAY SYMPOSIUM: 10.00am – 4.30pm
Tickets: £45 or £35 for Museum Friends and London Wildlife Trust Members,
£25 for Students (includes lunch, tea and coffee)

The biodiversity value of London’s open spaces is becoming more prominent in the news and awareness is growing, but how do we look at and experience wildness in the city? Why is a buddleia a weed to one person and a shrub to another? Is an abandoned space a wasteland or an oasis for animals and plant life? This Symposium in partnership with the London Wildlife Trust is the first to explore our complex feelings about these issues.

Richard Mabey, described by The Times as ‘Britain’s greatest living nature writer’ will take us back to 1973, when his book, Unofficial Countryside, began the urban wildlife movement. Professor Ken Thompson (author of No Nettles Required: The Reassuring Truth About Wildlife Gardening) will tell us about the importance of urban biodiversity for our future – and what gardeners can do. Christopher Woodward (Museum Director, and author of In Ruins) will explore how artists and writers have imagined Nature’s revenge upon London, and Tim Edensor (Industrial Ruins, 2005) will argue that what developers call ‘derelict land’ can be fertile for plant life and animals and a creative space for communities. Leo Mellor (Director of Studies in English, New Hall, Cambridge) is fascinated by the flowers which grew on the bombsites of World War Two, and in the afternoon Naturalists including Doug Hulyer consider what ‘wilderness’ in the city really does mean. Does London have an indigenous Nature or not?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE