Living in your own wood - legal issues?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
From what I have seen the idea of cutting up a plot into 12 little plots is a non starter as there is a covenant stating you can not sub divide. Also it seems that the primary owner will cherry pick the best area and hive off the rest. Along with the covenants to hold you back you are just subsidising their use.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I understand the following is legally unchallenged (I don't know any more than that).

Split a plot of land into 14 pieces with separate titles and set it up so that no. 14 is an access land strip to the other 13 which is right of way to the remaining plots. The theory is that you can then lawfully remain for 28 days on each.
Been tried. On another forum a member did just that. Bought a very large size plot, split it into 15 smaller plots, put in roadways. Built a massive movable dwelling. Spent well over 100k. He was so sure he had found away around the planning controls. He was warned by several forum members of possible outcomes. He laughed and was adamant that this would not be the case. Less than six months and he lost everything. He has now disappeared from the forum. Apparently he tried to fight but costs mounted. The LA treat it as one parcel and once notice is served it applied to all plots within that parcel. Breach of such planning restriction/ notice and face £50 fine per day. Any unlawful dwelling can then be removed by the LA and costs recovered from the owner. Having plots in different areas within the county /country and devided by a highway or the 12 plots is in other people's names/ ownership is the way to go. Legally you can reside with permission if you can prove that you earn the majority of your income from that woodland and require a unit to rest and store tools and materials. Any permission granted will be subject to restrictions. These usually allow only the owner to reside there or his employees. Permission is removed once the business is no longer active and then all residency stops and any unlawful structures must then be removed. Look at it this way. If planning was that slack that you could buy a wood or agricultural land and then reside on it without any controls. Then most of the woodland and agricultural land would quadruple in price and make ownership extremely difficult as it would then be snapped up by developers and investors. What we value now, would resemble a shanty town without planning controls.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Interesting thanks. Were the parcels all legally titled to other people? That would be difficult for the LA to overcome surely?

Didicoy's post does not surprise me..I'm going to guess that even if a person finds what they think is a legal loop hole, its going to be a long, and stressful legal process to get the LA to accept the situation. Its also going to be extremely expensive and more so if you loose, which is highly likely...

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Something you could do with a bit of cash would be to buy a stretch of woodland and then rent or buy a place as close as possible to your plot.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
I am wondering what legal issues there would be if I bought say 5 acres of woodland & "dwelt" lightly in it. Thinking I could rent out my house to pay the mortgage & give me a little extra to live on. I guess there are all sorts of laws to stop folk doing this ?
As a maximum a simple shelter (even just a tent) wood burning stove, rain water collection, solar PV/thermal panel, composting toilet. Any advice ?

im doing something like what you are talking about, i am doing it in wales where there is a planning policy to build sustainable eco homes. its not easy. but it is possible. you can follow my progress on youtube if you like. im building a roundhouse in the woods. on 18acres.

channel link is in my signature

kris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE