List of Firecraft techniques

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Hi all,

I've compiled a 'tick off' list of traditional firelighting techniques which I intend on going through one at a time, and I was wondering if there are any you think I've missed out.

(I've also included some 'emergency' electrical and chemical methods for brevity).

Friction
  • Hand Drill
  • Fire Thong
  • Bow Drill
  • Pump Drill
  • Fire Plough
  • Fire Saw
Percussion
  • Pyrite (and other Iron Sulphides)
  • Fire-steel, strike-a-light
  • Modern Ferrocerium 'flint and steel'
Compression
  • Fire Piston
From the Sun
  • Via a Lens
  • Via a Reflector
Electricity
  • Sparks
  • Resistance
Chemistry
  • Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine/Sugar

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Tom Brown's books suggest anywhere between 20 and 30 different methods of fire lighting, I had never seen them listed. I always assumed he meant natural methods, but I have never got beyond listing about 18. Mostly I suspect variations on a basic idea. Like the bow drill counts as one method but with two people and no bow you can use the string with each person operating one end. The Eskimo's use a mouth held bearing for top and a string between the hand to drive the spindle. All of a similar idea but variations. It would depend on what was called a method. Using different lengths of spindle give rise to methods where the spindle is held under the arm by one person and one or two people rotate the spindle with a string.
If you get into chemical methods the list could go on a long way.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Those are all the main methods I've got on my list - however perhaps what is more important is to highlight the main methods given in the title - Friction, Chemical, Compression etc.

Each of these titles contains hundreds of ways of getting fire - chemical is a prime example! However, what is important is to know the basic physics behind each technique that lets you produce heat - this will allow you to always come up with a way to start a fire provided you have enough materials to start one - even if its not one of the common methods.

leon-1

TheViking said:
I think they're the same? Just to mention.

Not quite mate, ferocium rod or firesteel, standard bit of kit that most of us use.

Strike-a-lite, or traditional flint and steel. Chunk of steel in viking boat or horseshoe shape and peice of dark flint.

I commonly call one the other all the time so it's an easy mistake to make :)

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
how about ways of carrying fire? Something to carry an ember as you move... I've never really tried that... Cramp Balls don't seem to last long enough.

and for your spark based methods there's the difference between using different tinders (natural and artificial) or directly on a fire-dog

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i believe there are a number of other chemical ways of doing it.. although Potassium Permanganate and Glycerine are the most common place and avalible chemicals.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Justin Time said:
how about ways of carrying fire? Something to carry an ember as you move... I've never really tried that... Cramp Balls don't seem to last long enough.

I've carried embers wrapped in Maple leaves before, they last for a couple of hours generally......and if they go out are easy to ignite with sparks!

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I wasn't really interested in the chemical means to be honest, I only put the PP method because it's mentioned so often. What really interests me is trying out all the 'traditional' methods just for fun. I think I've covered everything, but there may be some unusual methods not covered by the above categories.

Maybe in some as yet uncharted part of Irian Jaya they use cold fusion via fermented and distilled fruit spirits and a banjo-like musical instrument. ;)

Pappa

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Both the Tinder Fungus (fomes fomentarius) and the Artists Fungus (ganoderma aplanatum) are good for carrying hot embers. They smoulder for a very long time depending on the size of the fungus. I've used both, they work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE