Limpets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In Archaeology we are told that the nutritional equivalent of one red deer is 31,360 limpets or 156,800 cockles.
I think it must be up there with the rabbit starvation thing.

Thing is that even children can gather shellfish while they might not be ready to take down a deer.

So, nutritious, but really only in quantity.
Gathering shellfish is hard cold and tiring work. Looks easy, but I reckon if there were any other food available that folks would have gone for it rather than all those in the shell middens/mounds.

Then again, I can't eat shellfish, but my brother says they're tasty, so maybe they were just the peanuts/popcorn of the past :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Limpets are only good for bait in my humble opinion.! Give me limpits, and I will use them to catch some nice tasty, and nutritional crabs or prawns.
No contest.!

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I’ve eaten limpets cooked in a flash fire, they were ok but then again I’m not a fussy eater. I would be wary of eating them raw, depending on where they were gathered.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I like limpets.
They have the same taste and texture as whelks. So if you like one you'll like the other.

We cooked them by placing them on a flat stone then piling coals on top. Give them 5 minutes and eat.
52896469779_3778143639_z.jpg

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
In Archaeology we are told that the nutritional equivalent of one red deer is 31,360 limpets or 156,800 cockles.

Thing is that even children can gather shellfish while they might not be ready to take down a deer.

Gathering shellfish is hard cold and tiring work. Looks easy, but I reckon if there were any other food available that folks would have gone for it rather than all those in the shell middens/mounds.

Then again, I can't eat shellfish, but my brother says they're tasty, so maybe they were just the peanuts/popcorn of the past :)

I guess what we don’t know is what the stocks were like back then. Similarly to fish stocks we could have had 3/4 times the amount we have today, that would make things easier.

Reactions: Ystranc

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield

Shellfish store energy in form glycogen oysters in particular store a lot sugars for winter n can be v sweet,this energy is destroyed on cooking though

Reactions: Ystranc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have old recipes for what we would now called stews, but contain things like whole wee birds, hares, and oysters, all cooked in a lidded cauldron, I wonder if cooking the limpets and then letting them stew would end up relaxing the muscle (which is really all it is that's edible) enough to stop it being like a wee dod of rubber.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE