leons paying it forward

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
bisamratte, yours is packed and ready to be posted this morning, the mess tins may be gone im just waiting for a pm
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
add fishing gear to my wanted list aswell, i am going to have a look and hopefully stick a few more things on here later
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
now only 1 match case left, the mess tins are probebly gone but im waiting for rapid boy to pm me, if you pm me i will get it off to you tommorow
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
everybodys went out today i hope you recieve them soon, tell me what you think of them when they arrive, when i get some more cartridges i will make some more and put them on here again, who would be interested
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
if rapidboy takes the mess tins that will be the lot gone as dave is having a match case in return for some fishing gear
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
keep watching this thread as in about 2 weeks i will have some more match cases made up
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will give rapid boy 2 days to pm me and if he doesnt i will put them both back on here
leon

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Leon....I think Rapidboy might be working away from home during the week and may not be able to get on line....perhaps you could check him out at the weekend..? ;)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok i will wait untill the weekend
bent stick your stuff arrived today i like the knife well done, what can i do with the sinew, i was thinking about making string would this work
singteck your pouch arrived today well done mate great craftmanship
leon

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Glad you like the burnishing knife. You'll find it useful for finishing any wood carvings.

You need to prep the sinew by
a) wet it - I soak it in lukewarm water (don't cook it) for a couple of hours

b) bash it. I have a nice smooth river stone and I bash it with that on a piece of wood. When you think you have bashed it enough, bash it some more.

c) while you are bashing it it will go from yellow and clear to white and fibrous

d) now comes the tedious bit. When it is dried you can pull off fibres and gradually split them down until they are the thickness you want. I get them thin as fine cotton for bow backing and thin as linen thread for tieing feathers on
arrows and reinforcing nocks.

You'll end up with a load of fibres with no hard bits in them. Its amazin how much you end up with from a single sinew.

To use the sinew for whipping I chew the fibres, they become self adhesive so you can whip on arrow points etc and they stay put. It takes a day or so for the sinew to fully dry and it keeps shrinking for weeks. To make absolutely sure they are not going anywhere I wipe them with a trace of hide glue.

Making string can be done but it is a bit of a mission with leg sinew. The longest fibers you'll get out of the leg sinew is about 8". You can produce a bow string from it (theres a picture in the Trad Bowyers Bible I think) but you have to do a lot of joining in. I managed to get a bit about 16" long with a dozen fine fibres in it it was stunningly strong. If you keep licking your fingers that puts enough moisture in it to keep it workable. I used it for square whipping some bamboo just to see how tough it was. The cat ate it...lesson learned keep sinew away from carnivores. Both cats and dogs think it is great stuff for chewing.

If you don't fancy doing it with spit you can dip it in warm water...

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks mate, is there anything else i could do with it if not i will make the string
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
how thick shall i make the string, i dont want it really thick but i spose i would have to make it even bigger so that when it shrinks it is the right size
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE