Leather Journal my attempts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I got some leather a while ago and used it to make a replacement for a wallet I loved. It was machine stitched though so it felt like cheating. Recently I had some plates made for embossing the Song of the Paddle logo onto leather. the plan being for badges or for other projects.

Anyway as a beginning project I though I would make a book cover. I was inspired by the one I saw on the Ray Mears site. My first one was competent enough but it had two things I did not like. First with the one fastening in the middle the corners could splay over time and secondly I wanted somewhere to keep my pen. Ideally my space pen so I could write notes while lying in my hammock at night.

So enter the mark two version.

journal1.jpg

journal2.jpg

journal3.jpg

journal4.jpg

journal5.jpg

The refill is A6 size (which is a quarter the size of an A4). The cover leather is some 3.5mm pre-dyed leather that does not take impressions very well but does well enough for this.

I am pretty pleased with this and those that have seen it in the flesh have been kind about my effort. I am just finishing one for Warthog1981 then I will be trying one with some more carving on it.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
That is REALLY nice John! - nope I'm wrong! - its better than that! ;)

It is just the job and athe fact it is a cover and you can replace with standard 'inserts' makes it even more desirable

you say you are going to make one with more tooling, I'm sure it will be great but for me you have got the right balance there and the embossing stamps look v profesional! :D (then again I'm a sucker for a good logo! :eek: )

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now THAT I like -

Can I ask a favour John,

could you do a tutorial when you do the next one please?

I'd love to off the sincerest form of flattery :eek:

Red

H

Heathenpeddler

Very nice :) I've a couple of books on bookbinding and will have to have a go again soon.

Where did you get the embossing plates made? I'd love to do one for my logo

MagiKelly

Very nice :) I've a couple of books on bookbinding and will have to have a go again soon.

Where did you get the embossing plates made? I'd love to do one for my logo

The plate came from Leprevo. It cost me about £40 for roughly a 4 x 5 inch size. On this I had the badge size you see on the journal, the same again but slightly smaller and another 3 of the otter with the paddle (Quentin) in two sizes and handed left and right.

The embossing plate is made of magnesium so is easily cut into separate bits (the filings burn well ;) ) Just remember to leave enough room between the different bits to allow them to be cut up.

MagiKelly

I am well on now with the one I am making for the tutorial. I finished the ones for my daughters. Actually my youngest daughter wanted the mark one version.

Eleanor my older daughter wanted one in natural leather. I learnt a few more things making this so hopefully the current ones will be better. I was not very keen on the natural leather for this. It is a bit thinner and just not right somehow. Luckily Eleanor is very happy with it.

Some pictures

journal6.jpg

Eleanor's has an open ended pen holder. The pen is a little short one but it goes well with the size of the journal.

journal7.jpg

Made a bit of a mistake with the "N" in Eleanor but it does not look as bad in real life as it does in the photo, honest :)

journal8.jpg

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Great stuff. I wouldn't worry about the natural leather one, it'll age very well and develop loads of character.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE