leather cup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Those or the pewter ones mate - which are actually The Balliol fours rowing trophies from 1876 and 78. Hold a nice drop though :D

Gailanne - the chalice is turned from Thuja burl (I think) cost me £5 from a flea market :D

Pignut - I may be able to lay hands on some wax - I'll ask the bee bloke - enough to dip could be horrible dear though - a small block is £2 - do you really want that much - or say a fag packet sized block to brush on?

Red

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
British Red said:
Those or the pewter ones mate - which are actually The Balliol fours rowing trophies from 1876 and 78. Hold a nice drop though :D

Gailanne - the chalice is turned from Thuja burl (I think) cost me £5 from a flea market :D

Pignut - I may be able to lay hands on some wax - I'll ask the bee bloke - enough to dip could be horrible dear though - a small block is £2 - do you really want that much - or say a fag packet sized block to brush on?

Red

Mmmm not sure on size!

will let you know!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I presume you use veg tan leather for this,

I thought to harden the cup it was dipped in moulton beeswax? this will seal and harden the Leather all in one go?

HELP! I seem not to know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Tips and a link from Bardster here(link on post 10).
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9790

Only tip I could give would be keep the temp down. I deep fried a sheath before learning that one :rolleyes:. Next time I tried it I melted the wax then allowed it to start setting again before putting it over a very small flame and keeping it just over the melting point. Done some belts and wee bit's and bobs and they came out great.

Gailainne

Life Member
From that Hide bound site "Brewers pitch is acceptable in contact with consumable liquids when the contact is transitory, as ale and wine normally is, at least in leather tankards as used by us!!

Historically either boiled birch tree sap or bees’ wax would have been used."

MIght be a viable alternative, and free as well at this time of year :D

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Tiffers over on BB has recommended using black gloss radiator paint rather than pitch in the past. Non-toxic, remains slightly flexible and doesn't dissolve at the first touch of something with a more exciting alcohol content.

Added - may have misremembered things - definitely gloss, definitely black - and childproof, so no unpleasant toxins. I think I'll see what Japlac does in terms of flexibility.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Pignut said:
Can anyone tell me if I am supposed to be hardening it in moulton beeswax?

Molten beeswax yes, but you don't need to dip it. Get enough beeswax to half fill it. Put the wax in a pot and set that pot in another larget pot of water. Boil the water on a stove or campfire and keep it going until the wax completely melts in the inner pot. Warm your tankard, either near the fire or in an oven set on low heat. Wear rubber gloves and use an oven glove on top of that for safety - hold the tankard and pour hot beeswax into it. Swill it round the inside gently for a minute or so then tip it back out into the pot again. You'll notice a layer of fairly thick wax on the inside as it cools and sets - nowt to worry about.
Take an old, but clean paint brush, or a pastry brush and dip it in the pot of wax. Hold the tankard over it and carefully paint the outside with molten wax. It will probably set hard on contact. Once you have the outside painted, remove the wax from the stove and set it aside.
Next, you have to get the wax to impregnate the leather. You do this by placing the tankard back in the oven and letting it re-melt. Please, please use a baking tray beneath it otherwise you'll end up with an oven covered in beeswax that'll stink every time you put the oven on.
Place the tankard on the baking tray and put it in the oven for ten minutes or so. Keep checking it and when all the yellow opaque wax has melted back to transparent, remove from the oven an wipe over with a soft cloth or kitchen towel to remove the excess wax. The tankard will now be impregnated with wax both from the inside and outside. You may get slight leakage from the stitching round the bottom, in which case brush molten wax round the joint with a small artist's bruh to seal it.
When you take the tankard out of the oven it will be hot. It will also be fairly soft until the wax sets, so now is the time to check it for final shape an make any minor adjustments so it's nice and round at the top, and the handle isn't bent or anything.

Hope this helps mate,

Eric

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Eric_Methven said:
Molten beeswax yes, but you don't need to dip it. Get enough beeswax to half fill it. Put the wax in a pot and set that pot in another larget pot of water. Boil the water on a stove or campfire and keep it going until the wax completely melts in the inner pot. Warm your tankard, either near the fire or in an oven set on low heat. Wear rubber gloves and use an oven glove on top of that for safety - hold the tankard and pour hot beeswax into it. Swill it round the inside gently for a minute or so then tip it back out into the pot again. You'll notice a layer of fairly thick wax on the inside as it cools and sets - nowt to worry about.
Take an old, but clean paint brush, or a pastry brush and dip it in the pot of wax. Hold the tankard over it and carefully paint the outside with molten wax. It will probably set hard on contact. Once you have the outside painted, remove the wax from the stove and set it aside.
Next, you have to get the wax to impregnate the leather. You do this by placing the tankard back in the oven and letting it re-melt. Please, please use a baking tray beneath it otherwise you'll end up with an oven covered in beeswax that'll stink every time you put the oven on.
Place the tankard on the baking tray and put it in the oven for ten minutes or so. Keep checking it and when all the yellow opaque wax has melted back to transparent, remove from the oven an wipe over with a soft cloth or kitchen towel to remove the excess wax. The tankard will now be impregnated with wax both from the inside and outside. You may get slight leakage from the stitching round the bottom, in which case brush molten wax round the joint with a small artist's bruh to seal it.
When you take the tankard out of the oven it will be hot. It will also be fairly soft until the wax sets, so now is the time to check it for final shape an make any minor adjustments so it's nice and round at the top, and the handle isn't bent or anything.

Hope this helps mate,

Eric

Eric!

You are a true star!

Just what I wanted!

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent

Gailainne

Life Member
Remember I said my father had one, I talked to him about it last night and he dug it out for me, its in a bit of a sorry state, so any tips for reconditioning it would be welcome.
CIMG0003-1.jpg

CIMG0002-2.jpg

CIMG0001-2.jpg
[/IMG]

It creaks alarmingly if you squeeze the top so I was thinking if I put some warm water in it I could at least get it a bit more round, what do you think ?

Stephen

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd hate t mislead you, so I suggest PMing Bardster who is the leathermeister when it comes to bottles and flagons - or Eric who is also pretty damn knowledgeable!

Red

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Without actually seeing it, I'd say paint the outside with fresh beeswax and pop it in the oven at around 200*F for ten minutes or so. It looks like it's lined with brewers pitch and the heat of the oven should soften it enough to reshape it. It'll also let the fresh beeswax soak into the fabric of the leather from the outside.

Alternatively, leave it as it is and use it to make a pattern for a new one (which is what I would do.)

It's a nice tankard,and the patina is wonderful. You'll lose that if you muck about with it.

Eric

Gailainne

Life Member
Thanks guys

Eric I really want to leave the outside as is, I just want to reform the lip into a more circular shape.

The inside is coated with a substance which feels tacky to the touch, buts leaves no residue on your fingers, it also seems to have been applied in two layers, a thin layer which reaches to the the lip, and a thicker layer which reaches perhaps two thirds of the way up, presumable this is the brewers pitch ?

I'll have a think :)

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE