Leather carving projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
After being given a special knife at the moot this year by a very special maker, our very own Chris I decided it needed more than my normal effort of a sheath to compliment it.
DSC00344.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

I've also just started archery lessons so decided to make an arm brace. Based on a pattern from Al Stohlman of a wallet I replaced the man with a shotgun with a medieval archer. Some artistic license taken but the effect isn't too bad I think
The straps are cheap watch straps bought off the bay of evil
2010-11-21083907.jpg

2010-11-21083854.jpg

Thanks

Mark

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've seen the sheath in the flesh, and it looks just as good as the pictures.

What's the finish on the bracer? Some sort of antiqueing?

Geoff

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Love the bracer! - that panel is cracking Mark, bet it took a while...... certainly worth it though!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks all
I hope it inspires others to have a go too - I'm no artist, can't draw for toffee
Geoff - Both are finished with the same antique dye paste stuff, then weatherproofed with Oakwood leather conditioner I have for my boots
Leon - What with 2 jobs, CFR, shooting, scouts and am dram stuff to name a few, time is something I don't have!
The time is taken in the planning for me. It took a month to plan the sheath for instance. Only an hour to carve it though. Then a couple of hours to glue and stitch over the next week or so.
The brace took maybe a couple or 3 hours over 2 -3 evenings so not too long. I binned the idea of making a quiver as that would take far too long for me!

Cheers

Mark

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Having seen both items in the flesh (actually I think Mark was just showing off!!) I can say that they are amazing bits of work. The arm brace was amazing, i sat looking and admiring it for a fair bit. I was really amazed as to how soft and flexible the leather was with the conditioner.

Well done Mark, what you got planned next to make us jealous?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE