Leather 18th century hunting pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I seem to have all sorts of projects on the go at the same time, and some seem to take for ever to complete :D I have finally finished a 18th century hunting pouch, I think it will make a nice possibles' bag. It's got "potential" for customising it.

DSCN0403.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

I have not yet fixed a sheath on it but I think I will. Soon :D

1.5mm leather, entirely hand sewn with linen thread.

What do you think of it's value for bushcraft?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I am not that patient! This is not my design. I followed the instructions in a book called "Recreating the 18th century hunting pouch". It has various designs and patterns.

It was really good to learn the techniques by following the instructions in the book without messing up too much material. Then I can move on to making my own stuff.

I just like the idea of carrying the knife on the bag, like on the drawing in the Nessmuk book. Has anyone tried it and does it work for you?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never tried anything quite like that but I use a "man bag" quite a bit - very handy - you can get at the contents without haveing to take it off like you need to with a rucksack. I wear a belt possibles pouch a lot and really like that model. I reckon youmight be better incorporating ties at the back or a buckle for the knife - not as authentic but people could add their own knife of choice or remove it (I'm hoping you will be selling these)

Red

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A beautiful piece of work! I currently use an old WWII gas mask case - a sort of floppy, canvas thing. That would be a much more elegant and weatherproof solution. Top stuff!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Never tried anything quite like that but I use a "man bag" quite a bit - very handy - you can get at the contents without haveing to take it off like you need to with a rucksack. I wear a belt possibles pouch a lot and really like that model. I reckon youmight be better incorporating ties at the back or a buckle for the knife - not as authentic but people could add their own knife of choice or remove it (I'm hoping you will be selling these)

Red

I folllowed the instructions to the letter (well almost:D ) The books called for the shoulder strap to be 72" long" Even for me, I am 6'3", the bag was about half way down my leg, so I shortened it to have the top of the bag about belt level.

Do you mean replacing the shoulder strap with a removable one, that could be attached to the bag with, say, buttons, and also to have the option of a removable knife sheath attachment? I have some small brass buckles and could use one of those perhaps, or have a loop at the back so that knife sheaths could be attached and removed? Also loops for belt attachment rather than the strap?

I like the "mountainman" type equipment ( would love to have a black powder rifle) and made this one for myself and also to learn leather working techniques, but to be honest i would not mind selling a few! My health hasn't been marvellous in the past couple of years and I can't do the work I used do, so I am looking at the future and looking for ideas.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
JJ - I meant a small buckle at the back to add a knife sheath rather than make the shoulder strap removable - given the current world perhaps so that the knife is hidden?

As for the black powder - do it! Once you try "making smoke" theres no going back :D. I only dabble myself but I may have to cross over to the old days soon ;)

Red

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Here are pics of the bag with the sheath attached to the back.

DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

(I tried to get either Kate Moss or Ray Mears to model but they both turned the opportunity down :dunno: Go figure :rolleyes: )

DSCN0415.jpg

Having the knife makes the pouch stick out a bit but the knife is hardly visible.

What do you think? Is it concealed or just discreetly out of sight?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very nice. If you were making them to sell though I would put a horizontal buckle on the back that could be buckled through the belt loop of an existing knife sheath - that way people could add their knife of choice

Red

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
A very nice beaver tail hunting pouch, with your knife i would sew it to the front strap like some of the old patch knives were. Topknot :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Im so tempted to say "matching sandals too" :D

How very dare I?

Red

Red! How could you :eek: are you saying this is "hippy" attire? :eek: :eek: I don't think 18th century hunters wore sandals, did they? Moccassins, yes, but sandals! How am I going to recover from the shock:D

I got a book called "Recreating the 18th century pouch" from here:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ytnppb45ioqoaj55jnhbwr45))/index.aspx

and just followed the instructions!

I have thought of putting a patch knife on the strap, but then If I try to use the bag as a possible's bag, I might get funny looks!! I don't know why but people get a bit stressed with you if you have a knife in show.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Nice work on the shooting pouch. They are a fun and usefull project.

I've made and used several for the past couple decades. A couple notes:

- The lower they hang at your side, the more they "flop" around - but the easier it is to get into them. Most people using them as shooting pouches for their black powder muzzle loading guns when out hunting prefer to have them ride up pretty high. High enough that their elbow holds them at their side when moving through the brush. That helps keep them from "flopping" around. And they get snagged and hang up less on the branches/brush you are moving through.

- Having your knife on the strap can be a little more "handy", if you use it a lot. But it does tend to snag and catch on more things. And it can be easier to lose it. I have one pouch with the knife sheath sewn onto the back. But it is a small/thin knife, so it doesn't push the pouch out much. But I prefer putting any knife inside my pouch - if I don't have it in my pocket or on/through my belt.

- An extra little pocket sewn inside really helps organize small items.

- A tie or button on the flap, or holding the top together cuts down on the time spent searching for stuff dumped out when you trip, or the pouch gets accidentally tipped upside down.

- The larger the pouch you make/carry, the more ... stuff ... you tend to always have in it. This all adds up to more weight and bulk. It's too easy to move stuff from your pack or ruck into your hunting pouch.

I currently run with a civilian modified Brow Bess military musket, a French Fusil de Chasse hunting fowler, and a Northwest Trade Gun. Different time periods, different historical focus. But I've been pondering a Matchlock fowler, lately. Some of the hunting pouches that go with these guns were military influenced, but most are pretty simple/plain/working hunting pouches.

Again, nice work. And it is far removed from any "hippy" influence.

Mikey - runnin' the woods out here in the Hinterlands

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks Mike. I have learned a lot from doing this. I wanted to make one for some time, I just enjoys making things anyway.

I have put the knife at the back, but I don't think it's going to stay there. I think I'll put some small extra pockets in it, retrospectively, also lenghten the adjustable part of the strap to carry it higher, as you suggested.

I don't want it too big, I have a man bag as Red described his, and it's hard to find anything in there at times! Just too much stuff in it. So a smaller one like the pouch will force me to be more careful about what I want to carry with me. The big knife will return, I think, to my belt. Besides, I can carry it more discreetly by having a long shirt or something over the top.

I have a couple of smaller patch knives I have made and probably will put one of those in it's place, on an horizontal strap as Red suggested.

I would love to get into black powder but can't really afford to at the present time, so I'll have to carry on drooling over the pictures! Any chance of some pics of your guns?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Beautiful pouch there Jojo. I'm not a fan of leatherwork myself but I may have to force myself to make one of those. I like the idea of putting the sheath inside the pouch so I could have a large knife to hand without constantly having to take off my pack to access it.
A bit OT but as it's been mentioned already, regarding blackpowder shooting, I assume it is illegal to hunt with BP in the UK as it wouldn't generate sufficient muzzle energy?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
It was enjoyable doing this pouch. I'll most probably make some more, soon! To put a large knife inside, it would need to be bigger than it is now. It's about 200 mm wide by 240 mm high, depending how large your knife is. The one in the picture is 215 mm and wouldn't fit.

As to hunting in the UK with black powder, I ready don't know but would assume it's not. British Red says he dabbles in black powder so I am sure he, or someone else, will put us right soon.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
img0561sb1.jpg

This is a project i start about 14yrs ago and did not finish it off. I wanted a Hawkens rifle to go with it but i had to give up my gun licence due to the family. Maybe its time to finish it off. Topknot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE