Learning my birds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just wanted to share something which made my day today then ask a question. I took the day off work to pick up swmbo from the airport so had some time this morning to try my eye at some bird identification. Now this might be kindergaten stuff to you folk but for a 'stranded' aussie in the UK it's a learning experience.

Armed with my binos I set out this morning for a 5 mile walk and birdwatching foray in low mist (tending towark damp misery) around my local reservoir and surrounding forest and fields.

Here's my tick list for today and my level of certainty about identification:

Carrion Crow 90%
Robin 100%
Mallard duck 100%
Wigeon duck 85% - not absolutely certain - I spose it could have been a Pintail but the head was too red I reckon.
Graylag goose 85% - it was too fast in the air to get a good look.
Buzzard (buteo buteo) 100% - didn't expect to see this in the air on such a poor day
Pheasant 100%

Now here's my question(s): I could hear a bird but not see it. The call was something like this:

Prrrrrrrreeeet! Prreet! Prree-owwwwwww. All I could see around were crows. What could it be?! Are there birds in the UK that immitate other birds? It sounded like it was coming from a field at ground level.

Thanks for reading, and if you have sugestions for the ones I'm not quite certain about don't hold back!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Can't help with your bird call Red, but if you're ever down in Devon try and get to this place http://www.dawlishwarren.co.uk/ if you're interested in birds and plants,
I was down there last weekend and it was fantastic. I saw several flocks of Brent Geese feeding on Eel grass and a small group of Avocet (emblem of RSPB and the first time i've ever seen them) I also saw some other species which I couldn't identify. I was really big into birds as a youngster and I've forgotten a lot of what I knew, but my weekend has seriously re-kindled my interest in wild birds.
Spring is far more advanced down there than in Oxford, and there was lots of spring plants popping up. I'm hoping to go again in late April and do some more bird watching, some plant ID'ing and learning............ and some sea fishing.; Sounds like heaven to me :D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Let me have a quick look for more info, but that sounds like a lapwing. They're also known as peewits because of their call and that looks very nearly what you've written. I think it goes something like "peewit, peewit, wit, wit, wit, wit, wit". God, it looks like I've exposed myself as a twitcher! I'm not honest. Just a passing interest. :lmao:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/l/lapwing/index.asp
Call a wheezing 'pee-ee-wit'; song includes 'eyuweep' and 'weep-weep' phrases.
I wasn't far off. The 'eyuweep' must be the Yorkshire ones!

scanker said:
Let me have a quick look for more info, but that sounds like a lapwing. They're also known as peewits because of their call and that looks very nearly what you've written. I think it goes something like "peewit, peewit, wit, wit, wit, wit, wit". God, it looks like I've exposed myself as a twitcher! I'm not honest. Just a passing interest. :lmao:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/l/lapwing/index.asp

I wasn't far off. The 'eyuweep' must be the Yorkshire ones!

I agree with Scanker.....sounds like the perfect description of a Lapwing call to me ;)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wotcher Red-C.
Yep, I am almost sure its a Lapwing.

Though the call as you describe it, is not classical style according my modest collection of books, but, these bods do tend toward some variation.......so maybe it was just having a bad-hair day! ;)

Ceeg

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Seagull said:
Wotcher Red-C.
Yep, I am almost sure its a Lapwing.

Though the call as you describe it, is not classical style according my modest collection of books, but, these bods do tend toward some variation.......so maybe it was just having a bad-hair day! ;)

Ceeg

Cool! Now I just have to see one of the little buggers!

Reactions: scanker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE