Leaking back windows on LR 110 County

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Anyone had leaking windows before? I’m not enthused about taking them out and reseating them but if that’s what I have to do then needs must and all that, if anyone ahs suggestions then I’m all ears.

It seems to come in the windows and then run down into the middle seat floor, the carpets soaked this morning and that’s the only thing I can think of (well I traced the beads of water!

Cheers
T
:Thinkingo

leon-1

A mate of mine used to be a REME fitter in the LAD, if I can get hold of him I'll ask and if he gives me a decent suggestion (rather than "hit it with a hammer" ,"but mate it didn't work", "try a bigger hammer") then I'll let you now.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Tone,
I had exactly the same problem with mine. The sliding window leaks. I had some species of mould that were new to science in the glass runner :Wow:

I solved by cheating a little.
After cleaning it up as best I could and making sure everything was dry, I got a tube of marine sealant from my local boating shop and sealed the sliding window all the way round to the frame and also to the static window as well. Inside and out.
There's no way that window will leak now !!!

Of course it doesn't open either but you can't have everything... There are four wind down windows, two front air vents and the other sliding window that open so I don't think it's too much of a problem.

Whole thing cost under £10.

Cheers

Mark

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Hi Tony,
Mine does that too. If you still want the windows to open, then unfortunately you'll have to replace the seals. I don't think it's too big a job and when it's done, it's done and should last for another 5 months.......woops sorry, years or more!

Or, as has been mentioned, you could seal them up permanently with silicone.

I'd go for the replacement myself.

Good luck,
Cheers, Julian.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks guys, it gives me something to go by, both sides are doing it so I'm not keen to seal them up.

When we're driving in the rain we often get wet :rolleyes: it comes down behind the dash and in through the roof, just by the top of the doors, I expect that all the seals have gone and I'll have to rebuild her :Wow:

I just laugh and say…”It’s a landy!” Even when the window falls down in the rain

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Tony said:
When we're driving in the rain we often get wet :rolleyes: it comes down behind the dash and in through the roof, just by the top of the doors,

If water's coming in between the tops of the doors and the roof you could try:

Bending the tops of the doors inwards a little so they push aginst the seals properly. Be careful if your doors frames are rusty or the door frame can snap.

Cleaning the area of the door which touches the door seal with a good solvent (eg Tetrosyl panel wipe) then running a thick bead of silicone mastic along the line where the seal touches the door. Once the mastic's set it should make enough contact with the seal to keep water out. Looks horrible though.... :eek:

My neighbour's Series III has closed cell foam pipe lagging cable tied around the door frame to fill the gaps. Very effective, but looks even worse..... :eek:

I've never seen a Landy which doesn't leak, so the most realistic option may be to remove the carpets and let the water leak in at the top, then leak out at the bottom. :eek:

Here's a quote posted on BCUK by Adi007 back in 2004:

"A body engineer from Lode Lane goes on an exchange visit to Mitsubishi in Japan and watches the engineers develop the latest Shogun bodyshell. He notices on the workbench that they have a cat in a small cage. The Japanese engineer tells him that when they have finished the bodyshell they lock the cat in it and go home. If the cat is dead when they return in the morning they know the door shutlines are up to their high standards.

The LR guy likes this idea and when he gets back to Solihull he takes his cat into work and locks it in a Defender and goes home for the night. When he returns in the morning the cat is gone."

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
If it's just water coming in through past the rubber then try wiping it well with glycerin to improve the seal.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
If there is water coming in from the front at the top of the doors, you could try putting a blob of silicone just at the end of the gutter, so to re-direct the run-off. It normally drips down from the gutter and then into the door about half way down.
On a dry day get someone to shower water at the area with a hose and you might be able to see exactly where it's coming in from.

Julian.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE