lead mould

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
right straigt in.
i need to drill a few round bottomed holes in some mild steel to make a lead mold, (you guessed it, for catty ammo),
which would be the best way to achieve this?? (the holes should be ???hemisphreical??? (half a sphere)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
right straigt in.
i need to drill a few round bottomed holes in some mild steel to make a lead mold, (you guessed it, for catty ammo),
which would be the best way to achieve this?? (the holes should be ???hemisphreical??? (half a sphere)

Can't help you with the specifics in this case - but they used to make lead shot by dripping it down a large tower - by the time it hit the floor it was solid

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
Can't help you with the specifics in this case - but they used to make lead shot by dripping it down a large tower - by the time it hit the floor it was solid

im sorry but that doesn't really help i live in a small house without a handy tower...

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
im sorry but that doesn't really help i live in a small house without a handy tower...

OK then - can't you make a negative mold with wax, then cast some plaster of paris around that (with a channel to get rid of the wax), then pour the molten lead into the plaster of paris? It may not stand up to the heat, but possibly worth a try?

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
OK then - can't you make a negative mold with wax, then cast some plaster of paris around that (with a channel to get rid of the wax), then pour the molten lead into the plaster of paris? It may not stand up to the heat, but possibly worth a try?

i have tried this but it means making a wax model for each ball

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i have tried this but it means making a wax model for each ball

hmmm -
41MschkAmRL.jpg

Wonder if a decent hardwood would be up to the task? Then you could use one of these dremel bits

Chatteris

Jan 5, 2010
Peterborough
What size do you need? Might be worth looking at lee moulds for muskets/black powder pistols. They make a round ball mould for .36 and also .44. They could easily be used for your catapult ammo if they are the right size.

I believe they are around £20 new

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
ball end milling cutter, if you have a drill press with a large enough chuck you can get away with holding it in the chuck, no need for collets etc., just go easy and dont try and mill with it

Stoker37

Aug 7, 2005
Rotherham
Hi
As a kid I used to cast catty ammo in the round part of a pair of combination pliers. Not perfectly round but it used to do the job.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
When my Dad made a mould for us to make some balls for Bolo when I was younger, he reground a flat bit to a curved end rather than flat. Left the spike in place so there was a bit to remove when cast but no issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE