Latest Leather Tankard (Photo heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
This is my latest Leather Tankard.

Made from 4.5mm full grain leather and sealed with hot Beeswax.

I liked the look of some of the heavy grain lines on the hide and decided to incorporate them into the tankard.

My first thought was it had a look of tree bark:rolleyes: see what you
think.............

DSCF2561.jpg

DSCF2556.jpg

DSCF2559.jpg

DSCF2565.jpg

My stamp on the base;)
DSCF2570.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
That looks brilliant! If you don't mind my asking what is your method for waxing the leather?

Put the finished tankard in the oven (on the lowest setting) for a short while to warm up, Melt the wax in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.

While the Tankard is hot from the oven paint the wax on inside and out until it's soaked through, it will set on the out side so I pop it back in the oven. Any bits that are left un-melted I zap with a heat gun.

If you end up with too much in one spot I just blot if up with paper towel.

You just need to make sure all the seams have a good coating.

Richard

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Very neat and tidy job, the stitches look great. Am I right in thinking the 2 edges of the main cylinder were skived (?) to make a scarf type join? Also what shape is the handle when its cut out from theflat hide, I cant viualise it at all:lmao:

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Very neat and tidy job, the stitches look great. Am I right in thinking the 2 edges of the main cylinder were skived (?) to make a scarf type join? Also what shape is the handle when its cut out from theflat hide, I cant viualise it at all:lmao:

Yes the edge are Skived. I've seen a few where the edged are just butted up and laced over the joint but I wanted a stronger more lasting joint.

As for the handle its strip about 1 3/4" wide pointed at the bottom end and folded over at the top. You decide the size of the grip draw the two edges together and sew them up.

Have a look at this Template.............

http://www.primway.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tankard2.pdf

It's one I found after I made mine (I believe it's by Eric Methven). But I don't think it allows for the skived lap joint.

Richard

Dec 28, 2009
Dorset
Put the finished tankard in the oven (on the lowest setting) for a short while to warm up, Melt the wax in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.

While the Tankard is hot from the oven paint the wax on inside and out until it's soaked through, it will set on the out side so I pop it back in the oven. Any bits that are left un-melted I zap with a heat gun.

If you end up with too much in one spot I just blot if up with paper towel.

You just need to make sure all the seams have a good coating.

Richard

Thanks for that, I'll be proofing my first tankard soon! Last (and first) time I tried waxing leather was with a candle - dripping wax onto a bracer and using careful heat from the flame - not something I'd recommend.

Regards,
Sam

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Made a few more Tankards as the week went on.............

DSCF2584.jpg

DSCF2586.jpg

Had my first go a leather carving today and I've started to make one with a Yorkshire rose carved on the side, I'll post some photo's when its done;)

Richard

P.S. These two are for sale.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE