Latest Knife - Imitation Ivory, sallow root

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Just finished off my latest knife, i have been saving this piece of sallow root for a special occasion and i thought it was about time i turned it into a knife handle. I used buffallo horn, nickel silver and imitation ivory which is made from plastic but works and looks amazingly like ivory, it has a beautiful grain through it and polishes up lovely, sorry the picture doesnt really do it justice but take my word for it it is stunning. :)
I got the blade from Brisa a while back and now cant remember who made it and they dont seem to do the blade anymore so if anyone knows who makes it please let me know.
Sheath still to be made, still thinking up a design that will do the knife justice.

sallowrootknife.jpg

Michael

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
mmcniven said:
Sorry i just have a cheap digi camera that was the best it could do :(

Ahh thats better could not see any image before!

That is one nice looking knife!!!

How did you get the ivory so polished? :You_Rock_

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
mike the quality of the pic is fine.. but i think you need to find a new image host.. your do not seem to much like hotlinking though they seem to allow it some of the time and not others.. i can advise photobucket.com as a very good one!

but more importantly the knife.. i like it very very much, i want to use nickle on my next one.. does it slow down the process as presumably when cutting and sanding it is a lot harder than the wood and horn?

how did you get such a great shine on the horn?

Cheers,
Tom

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Thanks for the tip on the hosting i hadnt noticed a problem until earlier on today when i couldnt see the picture on the thread :rolleyes: i will get that sorted out.

The horn and imitation ivory is fairly easy to polish just go down through the grades of wet and dry until you are on 1200 then i use a burnishing cream probably very similar to t-cut maybe a bit finer but i think t-cut would do the same job although the burnishing cream doesnt affect the wood and t-cut might.

Using the nickel silver does slow down the process a bit i find that it is best to get it roughly to shape with a file then go through the grades of wet and dry on the wood and horn/ivory after this the silver will be proud so i use a fine cut file just on the silver to bring it down to the level of the rest of the handle, polish again and repeat if necessary. Hope this helps it is the method i use which produces good results there may be other ways of doing it.

Michael

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE