Latest i-Phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What the general view on the latest i-phone from the more techno-geeky sector of this bushey forum then??

Anything new and worthwhile or just a rehash??

Useful or Useless????

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Rehash. Improvements to camera, processor and gimmicky voice activated software, but no oh-so-vaunted savior of Apple as the fanbois have expected.
Expect the regular 4's to drop in price.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
A noticeable upgrade if changing from the 3GS, or any android phone, I'll be after one when they are out. I think people either like apple or they don't.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Unless by some miracle O2 give me a free one, I'll not be upgrading to the iPhone 4S. I have the 4, and the difference are minimal, and even then a lot will come to the 4 with ios 5 anyway. The main things that the 4S gets over the 4 is the uprated camera, and the new vioce activation system. I'm not that bothered by either.

I really do like my iphone 4, it suits my needs wonderfully. That said, the new 4S seems a way to cash in on the "must have latest" crowd, I think the more significant things to come out of apple are the ios 5, and the cloud. The 4S just seems to be piggy backed onto them as a money maker.

I'll wait untill they release a more significantly developed, updated iPhone before I shell out cash on upgrading.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Another incremental upgrade designed to milk the early adopters..."

Never buy version one of anything. :)

The camera does appear to have been significantly re-jigged and there are some improvements for those who want to take videos. The 'gimmicky voice activated software' does appear to be a little more than just that, but then it only 'appears' to be more than that. I used to have a Newton and its fantastic handwriting recognition software never worked as well as the videos of the day suggested.

I don't have an iPhone, I never have and will only use one if an employer foots the bill, but I cannot deny that it is a very pretty gizmo.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A noticeable upgrade if changing from the 3GS, or any android phone, I'll be after one when they are out. I think people either like apple or they don't.

lol, apart from phones like the samsung galaxy s2 which Apple need to catchup on. Apple are great phones but there are better alternatives these days and the gap can only widen now but Apple will still sell sh*t loads to the fans.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Does not seem to offer much, from what I can see. The 3GS gave you 'GPS', when the old 3 did not so that was worthwhile. I got rid of my my iPhone a while bak & am happy on Android, so would not buy another iPhone unless it was really a big step forward.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
lol, apart from phones like the samsung galaxy s2 which Apple need to catchup on. Apple are great phones but there are better alternatives these days and the gap can only widen now but Apple will still sell sh*t loads to the fans.

Well spotted, hoping to hook someone with that. I am an apple fan, have mac, iPad, touches, iPhones etc. Just all works, out of the box, plus changing to anything other than an iPhone would cost me for apps, I would need to change music format and so on. Also with the cloud coming everything will be synced perfectly (4 users in my house) Other makers are catching up, but that's just the point, only apple have done anything different for years, then everyone try's to catch up, and in some cases improve on their ideas. It would be refreshing for someone else to come out with something new.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well spotted, hoping to hook someone with that. I am an apple fan, have mac, iPad, touches, iPhones etc. Just all works, out of the box, plus changing to anything other than an iPhone would cost me for apps, I would need to change music format and so on. Also with the cloud coming everything will be synced perfectly (4 users in my house) Other makers are catching up, but that's just the point, only apple have done anything different for years, then everyone try's to catch up, and in some cases improve on their ideas. It would be refreshing for someone else to come out with something new.

Apple iPhone was very very good when launched had problems which of course are never admitted by by members of the Cult of Jobs. Its still the best selling single model smart phone in the world but Android has an exponential growth not just of software but of models, they are handsets for all pockets and yet offer the same basic functions to all models hence their growth.

Apple computers? good operating system but no better than Windows 7 and the hardware is old, its just not updated enough. They are pleasing on the eye but in terms of performance are lacking, my PC is way higher spec than any mac made and perhaps cost half the price and I can upgrade it; as I can any of my home network PC's. Apple Cloud? Do you not want all your stuff to hand in case of power failure, internet failure? You have had options such as Dropbox for a while now which I use with friends for easy sharing of big files. Itunes? don't know anything about it, I have about X000's of mp3 files but just bung a few on my phone, my lad may use spotify, not sure.

That said, Apple have a fantastically loyal customer/fan base verging on fanatical, spooky at times;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Indeed, R.I.P. chap; he looked gravely ill for a long time though so no surprise at his passing into the eternal 'cloud' now.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Aye RIP the guy was visionary and Apple under his leadership has changed the way we do things like listen to music etc..On the revised phone... I'd have one... It looks to be a bit of a mid life upgrade for the I phone 4. Any how we get IOS 5 and I cloud in about 10 days I'm looking forward to that.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Sad sad day in the technological world. A brilliant inventor.... every smart phone around is a spin off of his work.

Iphone tech wise, all as mentioned, but with the advent of Cloud, and the ineraction between each Apple product you have (Contacts/Apps wise) They have also linked twitter into the new development too.

All released 12th Oct. Cant wait.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Never been an Apple fan but do appreciate their innovation over the years. However that has not been the case for a bit now. IMHO it seems everything is minor tweaks to what has gone before. You could argue that they are copying themselves as much as android phones are copying them. In that context they are just no better or worse than android phones with the equivalent specs. I agree with Rik in that android phones are much more accessible. They are more in keeping with the future IMHO in that they are more towards the open standards. In my mind I am thinking that the locked i-phone / i-pod to i-tunes standard is kind of a backwards looking attitude. The technology world should be joining in their standards. I do wonder if one day we will think of i-tunes and the like as the betamax of its day, only unlike betamax it is not better just different.

BTW I have a samsung galaxy SII. It has been my ONLY new tech purchase and was bought in the first week out in the UK with Vodaphone. Some regrets as battery life is abysmal if you use it that much. No long paying of games and better switch off wifi in non-wifi areas too. They did get the camera right on the S2 though. I think that is one thing Samsung do right in that they bring a product to market that is right from day one right from the box without the need to buy a bumper case or upgrade the os to sort out some reception reporting issue. I think Apple is a bit like MS in that they release products to a release date and not when they are ready. Might be wrong but the last i-phone 4 and shortly later the 3GS all reported problems but IIRC there was a delay in them knowing about it and admitting it is right. Correct me if I'm wrong but the grip of death thing they tried to deny for a while. Apple is stiffing their customers a bit perhaps.

BTW Jobs was a business man with immense talent. He was visionary in that he just knew if some idea would fly. I once saw something about him and my impression was he didn't invent that much just kind of said yes or no to others ideas, kind of a directing influence to Apple's highly talented designers and engineers. he probably helped in that process but from what I remember of that tech news show or article I saw he was kind of an impresario as much or more than an inventor. Still, in his time he has, ultimately, been responsible for Apple growth and it's innovations. As much form as function IMHO, they need to get more into their function.

One question, what would come out of Apple IF they switched to android??

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
PS Apple was always out of my price range for a particular level of tech. I bought a creative MP3 player for £80 maybe 5/6 years ago. The cheapest apple shuffle was a little bit more for half the memory and a shorter battery life too. Basically I got a better product both audibly, with specifications and in price. It was not as stylish but TBH was still good looking. Still going strong too. I use wma and mp3 on it too. The quality is pretty good. IMHO it was closer to the proper i-pod of it's day than the shuffle. It has an OLED screen and could play videos (after conversion using their PC software).

My point is you pay more for Apple products for their image and perceived higher performance which is only perceived and not a reality these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE