Landy Starter Motor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What a pain it is, I've spent hours today trying to get it off and it doesn't want to know, it's in the most awkward place possible......I'm very frustrated!! :(

The starter engages but doesn't throw the engine so I'm presuming that the gears are knackered or there's some junk in it stopping the throw.......It usually turns over after a few tries but yesterday it was 80 tries before it turned over.....What a pain :rolleyes:

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
is it the original starter? does the starter sound strong? it could be just a build up of crud on the shaft that the engaging gear runs on. you could take the starter off and clean any crud off of the shaft give it a spray with maintenance spray and bench test it to make sure it throwing the gear forwards everytime. if it still fails to throw you may be looking at new brushes in the motor or a recon job

tom

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Sounds like the starter gears worn. You have to take off all the heat shields and then the exhast front pipe. The exhast is bolted to block aswell. You might have heat it up at top union to get it off. It's still a pig to do then.
A guy told me it's easier if you take the cover off the gearbox and bell housing in the cab you can get at it from the back. It's aload of rubbish you can't.
I feel for you it the worst starter to do on any car. You have to stand on the engine just to see the dam thing. Can you tell I've just had some bother with mine?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
All done! DId it yesterday in -2 temps so a bit nippy but over all it wasn't too bad, although my hands only just fitted in the spaces, it's a pain working blind on most of it but after a while you get used to where the bits are!

Thanks for the advice guys :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE