Knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
I've got a couple of books on knots, I think they make interesting reading. I find it very relaxing sitting down with a bit of cord/rope/whatever and just practising them.

I can just never remember the one I want when I need it! :(

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Slimey said:
I've got a couple of books on knots, I think they make interesting reading. I find it very relaxing sitting down with a bit of cord/rope/whatever and just practising them.

I can just never remember the one I want when I need it! :(

I have the same problem - I learn a dozen new and useful knots and then when I want to use a knot I fall back on the same one or two I've known since childhood :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Moonraker said:
Nice link Andrew, thanks. What knots do you use on your tarp setup? I remember you mentioning about demonstrating rigging it during your walk down the RLS walk.

Some useful stuff for Basha Knots on the /Kit chatter/Basha Help thread, Bambodoggy talked about using the French Prusik for tensioning the loops at each end of the ridge line, not tried that yet but will do so.

I use the evenk slippery figure-of-eight hitch for one end of the ridge line and a Tarp taut hitch at the other, the guys are attached with slippery adjustable loops (just as shown in RM's book) However I use a Klemheist to tension the end tarp loops on the ridgeline.

I always carry two extra ridgelines so that I can extend one if its too short and also to double up under the tarp and give me something to hang stuff off. I carry two extra guy lines to extend a guy if needed and I have six lightweight tent pegs.

I'd actually briefly forgotten how to tie the slippery Evenk hitch when I demo'd the hootchie to some French cyclists much to their amusement, got it back on the third attempt though (I think the two empty bottles of wine in the gite may have had something to do with my memory loss) :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
sandbender said:
Some useful stuff for Basha Knots on the /Kit chatter/Basha Help thread, Bambodoggy talked about using the French Prusik for tensioning the loops at each end of the ridge line, not tried that yet but will do so.

I use the evenk slippery figure-of-eight hitch for one end of the ridge line and a Tarp taut hitch at the other, the guys are attached with slippery adjustable loops (just as shown in RM's book) However I use a Klemheist to tension the end tarp loops on the ridgeline.

I always carry two extra ridgelines so that I can extend one if its too short and also to double up under the tarp and give me something to hang stuff off. I carry two extra guy lines to extend a guy if needed and I have six lightweight tent pegs.

I'd actually briefly forgotten how to tie the slippery Evenk hitch when I demo'd the hootchie to some French cyclists much to their amusement, got it back on the third attempt though (I think the two empty bottles of wine in the gite may have had something to do with my memory loss) :)
Thanks again for the details. Will hunt around the net for how to tie these.

Yep, two bottles tends to have that effect :D but it usually helps with the language too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE