Knives explained

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Ok hoping to use this as a guide for all us noobs that like me dont have a clue about knives.
Theres stainless steel
Carbon Steel
then theres a whole array of initials that follow and heat grades etc etc
that means not much to me at the moment. But hoping to change that.
What does it all stand for. Is it relevant to someone like me.
Also what about length does it matter, (the misses says yes)
whats a good all round length, (i will regret saying that)
Drop blade, stick tang, full tang???

To be honest i cant justify spending £100s on a knife 2 months before xmas,
Theres just soooo many different types and lengths,
I like the drop knife type where the blade carrys on the full length (size) into the handle, any recommendations without spending a fortune. The misses says i can a hand made jobbie next year after crimbo :eek:

TIA

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
You can't go far wrong with a Mora knife or the little Swedish Army Frosts, you can abuse them all you, to get yourself used to using a knife for bushcraft skills. Then when you get your custom made one you will have a very good idea of how to use it.
Neil

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
spoony said:
Ok hoping to use this as a guide for all us noobs that like me dont have a clue about knives.
Theres stainless steel
Carbon Steel
then theres a whole array of initials that follow and heat grades etc etc
that means not much to me at the moment. But hoping to change that.
What does it all stand for. Is it relevant to someone like me.
Also what about length does it matter, (the misses says yes)
whats a good all round length, (i will regret saying that)
Drop blade, stick tang, full tang???

To be honest i cant justify spending £100s on a knife 2 months before xmas,
Theres just soooo many different types and lengths,
I like the drop knife type where the blade carrys on the full length (size) into the handle, any recommendations without spending a fortune. The misses says i can a hand made jobbie next year after crimbo :eek:

TIA

THIS is quite a good explanation of different types of knifemaking steels

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
You could pop next door to BB and we'd make you very welcome. The General has done some very good writing on choosing between Carbon and stainless steels and also on the different steels commonly found, Bob Engnath is a great authority but that article was written in 1997, a fair few new steels have come along since then, particularly in the form of high end stainless steels made especially for knifemaking e.g. ZDP-189, S30V, 12C27 and RWL-34

The initials and numbers only mean something to the manufacturer of the steel, they don't follow an international standard that will give you any information, It's just like buying a stereo or DVD nowadays, the name means nothing and is hard to remember. S90V is not 3 times more anything than S30V (except maybe 3 times more expensive)

As to shape, it's like everyone on here will probably tell you, handle as many knives as you can at moots and the like and you'll find someting you like or dislike about all of them. take all the ideas you like and turn it into a knife through a discussion process with a decent maker and you'll end up with the knife you want.

Carbon v Stainless

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Steel like religion and politics is a controversal subject full of different opinions, facts and truths and most steels have their supporters and detractors.

It also depends what you want out of your knife, how much you want to spend and the style of knife you are after.

In the non stainless category, O1 is a pretty standard steel and it makes a very good knife with good edge holding and toughness. Lots of people use it and you and get virtually all styles of knives made in it.

In the stainless category, 440C, ATS34 and CPM S30V all make good knives. 440C being the oldest and CPM S30V the newest and the most expensive. Some people can tell the difference between them some can't. A knife made with any of them would serve you well.

For the best all round knife combining good edge holding with good toughness, I would suggest getting a differentially heat treated carbon steel knife. It would have a hard edge with a softer, tougher back. Stainless steels being air hardening can't be easily differentially heat treated. It would be my choice if I was stuck in the widerness and depended on my knife to survive.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
spoony said:

Have a look round at the North Meet (ISTR you're going)

I'll bring a sackful of random spares. I've got both trad and plastic Moras as well as various other "good ideas at the time" - might help you to a conclusion....

...save us talking bikes all weekend, anyhow ;)

Jim.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
As suggested, preferences vary as to handle and blade shape (grind) and length. We all started once. A Mora is an excellent starter knife.

As to steel, I would advise that, at least for the near term, you forget trying to figure out what steel is "best." If you identify a maker of knives who (or which) has a consensus reputation here and at BritishBlades for good work, that maker will do the work of selecting the "right" steel. And he will do it far better than all but a very few of the most experienced knife users. In any case, geometry and heat-treatment is probably more important than steel selected.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE