knife terminology

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
Hi guys

As you can see I'm rather new here :) . I'm just starting up in bushcraft and have a few questions about knife terminology.

Basically I don't know what you are talking about :D . I see mention of single bevels, drop points, hollow ground etc. Is there a good summary somewhere that tells me all this. I think I understand a single bevel as there is a sticky about sharpening them. But I wouldn't know how to sharpen a hollow ground balde.

Anyway, any help or pointers would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Joff

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
Many thanks Adam. Nice to hear from a fellow Canadian, though I have been in the UK since 1968 and so am very Anglocised :)

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Joff said:
Hi guys

As you can see I'm rather new here :) . I'm just starting up in bushcraft and have a few questions about knife terminology.

Basically I don't know what you are talking about :D . I see mention of single bevels, drop points, hollow ground etc. Is there a good summary somewhere that tells me all this. I think I understand a single bevel as there is a sticky about sharpening them. But I wouldn't know how to sharpen a hollow ground balde.

Anyway, any help or pointers would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Joff

Hi Joff,

A great place for info on this subject is 'british blades', theres a link on the edged
tools threads link.

I spend most of my time there and have learnt loads in a few short months. Do a search on the forum and if you still stuck join and ask questions, many of the members post on here (like me), so you will likely get more answers soon if you need them.

Rgds

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE