Knife handle attchment rivets...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi,

Been wondering this for a while, how are they attached? I'm talking about the brass rivets that go through the handle. It's not like they have a large hammered side on them as they are always flush and polished.

Is there a recessed hole on either side of the wood that the rivet is hammer-squashed into, and therefore the actual rivit is smaller diameter than can be seen at the surface (if you see what I mean)? If so I would think you wouldn't be able to get the perfectly formed end that is seen, it would show signs of it's forming.

Also, I would have thought that a simple press-fit wouldn't be strong enough in wood, they'd just work loose, so whats the secret? :confused:

Thanks,

leon-1

John there are a number of different methods of attaching scales to a knife, but nearly all use a certain amount of epoxy resin in conjunction with them.

Corby bolts is one method where effectively one side bolts into the other and they are recessed into the wood. When shaping the handle the bolts are ground down and with a bit of epoxy they hold the scales happily in place.

Cutlers rivets are another method, once again they are slightly recessed and epoxy is used as a backup.

Then there are pins, pins are actually forced through a hole slightly smaller in diameter than the poins itself, a lot of epoxy (the whole of the underside of the scale is normally covered with epoxy) is used, all methods are sound and will take a considerable bashing.

I hope this will be of use to you:)

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
think you are talking about pins and the like mate. the corby ones are a bolt that crew together with epoxy to strengthen them, hen they are ground or filed off.

It is the same as with mosaic pins, surfaces roughed and epoxy holds it together.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Thanks for that reply Leon - another question I hadn't got around to asking yet. Any chance you could point to where these are available from? Many thanks. :D

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Loveless bolts are available from http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pages/TKS_MainframeStore.htm but you should get a counterbore of the correct internal and external diameters to fit it to make a professional looking job. A simpler method is to get some brass rod, 1/8 or 3/16 in diamter, drill the same sized holes in the handle. When you have sanded the handle and before final finishing, use a counter sink to make a small counter sink in the holes previously drilled. Measure the length of the holes and cut the brass rod about 2mm longer on both sides. Anneal the brass rod by heating with a blowtorch to red heat and allow to cool slowly. Put the anneal brass rod in the hole with 2mm standing proud. Place the handle on a hard surface such as a heavy steel plate or hammer head. Insert the brass rod with 2mm proud on either side. Gently hit the rod to mushroom it. Turn over and hammer the other side as well. Hit the rod harder to mushroom it more and make sure they fill the countersinks leaving no gaps. Once all carefully grind or fill off the bits that stick out be careful not to file or sand away too much of the softer handle material.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
That's excellent, thanks guys.

Now then, I should be able to find a decent blade in time for someone to get it for Christmas for me, then I'll have something nice to make in the dark january evenings!

That's a nice looking blade Shing, where'd you get it from?

leon-1

Big John, it is more than likely that Shing made it himself:D

As far as blades are concerned try the two links above and you can always try Trek Direct where they sell Fallkniven blades. Other options ask the guys on BB one of them is more than likely able to provide you with an excellent blade:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE