Knife / Axe Dual sharpening whetstone or kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
Can anyone suggest a whetstone that would serve as a good primary sharpening tool for a knife, and a final sharpening tool for the axe?.

I've done a bit of research but wouldn't mind some experienced opinions.

Not a good Idea?, Not available/possible?

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
Can anyone suggest a whetstone that would serve as a good primary sharpening tool for a knife, and a final sharpening tool for the axe?.

I've done a bit of research but wouldn't mind some experienced opinions.

Not a good Idea?, Not available/possible?

No worries, I've brought a Japanese 6000/1000 from Axminster, a bargain at £25 odd quid too.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Personally I would suggest sharpen your axe on wet and dry paper. If you sharpen your axe on your stone (it will do the job well) you will inevitable create very uneven wear and so need a lot of flattening afterwards before you can use your knife on it. Your stone is useless unless you have a method of keeping it flat (eg coarse wet and dry on a piece of glass)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
How about the Gransfors Bruks Axe Stone? With practice you can keep the convex edge of the axe, it's easier than many people think!

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
I understand now, I didn't realise the whetstone would wear like that in my naivety, I've always used an old bar sharpener for both my knife and old axehead, knackered as they both were I thought I'd upgrade my maintainance of both new axe, and new knife.

I used the wetstone last night on my woodknife, which is now razor sharp. an Excellent purchase.
Once the axe puck has arrived I'll be giving the same treatment to the axe, which has had a lot fo use this summer and is desperate for some TLC.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If you want something that you can tote easily in the field, you might like to consider a Double Sided DMT Diafold ;) With a choice of grits, and weighing in at less than 2 ounces you can easily maintain a knife edge and an axe with one of them to a perfectly good standard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE