Kit List

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I made a basic database ages ago for maintaining a kitlist for things I have and things i'm taking when i'm planning a trip...

I lost it so decided to recreate one and would appreciate any feedback or requests for any additional reports or functionality, it would be nice to get this useful to many people.

http://www.squidders.com/KitList.zip

Cheers,

Joe

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
p.s. this is the size it is due to 57MB of Microsoft Access 2007 runtime files...

If you already have this I'm packaging a 200KB version up.

Cheers.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Very good, but it installs a copy of Access 2007. I don't allow that on my network. Installation generated a non-compliance warning on our license management system. Good job they only come to me.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
What's special about it Squidders? (don't run Microsoft Office here so can't check it out)

I've got a spreadsheet document (original version was in Microsoft Office Excel, current version is in the free OpenOffice.org Calc) and it really is quite simple, just grouped all my gear in some categories with columns: type of gear, details, weight, number I carry (edited for every trip) and total weight (automatic weight*number). Every category automatically counts the total weight of selected gear in it and than there's a field on top of the page that sums up all category weights. Works like a charm and is very easy!
If anyone interested: pm and I'll send you either in Excel format or OpenOffice.org format (total size in Oo_O is 20,2 KB)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Actually, it doesn't install MS Access... it installs just the runtimes that are available for download from Microsoft here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d9-9dc6-4b38-9fa6-2c745a175aed&displaylang=en

This is free and perfectly legal to distribute.

I can't really do a lot about MS Access being prohibited in your network unfortunately.

As I have already said, I'm going to repackage the DB to exclude this and it'll be very small.

The benefits of a relational database over a spreadsheet; i'm not really interested in going in to it... This is a little project for me that might benefit others. If you already have a solution that is your kitlist nirvana good for you, i'm very happy for you and hope you and your spreadsheet live very long and happy lives together... <SARCASM>thanks for the constructive feedback and exhaustive testing.</SARCASM>

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
The benefits of a relational database over a spreadsheet; i'm not really interested in going in to it... This is a little project for me that might benefit others. If you already have a solution that is your kitlist nirvana good for you, i'm very happy for you and hope you and your spreadsheet live very long and happy lives together... <SARCASM>thanks for the constructive feedback and exhaustive testing.</SARCASM>

Come on mate, wasn't meant negative at all!
I'd like to learn, maybe you've got something I'd really like to use as well... So I'm just asking because I can't run your version here, and described my current system of doing it so that you can see if there are any real differences with yours so you can point those out if you like, to help me... Ain't no such thing as perfection so can always be improved :rolleyes:

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Lasse2 thanks for the program vewry interesting. Is this your job writing the programs? Can you write comma seperated files into a data base sheet?

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I made a basic database ages ago for maintaining a kitlist for things I have and things i'm taking when i'm planning a trip...

I lost it so decided to recreate one and would appreciate any feedback or requests for any additional reports or functionality, it would be nice to get this useful to many people.

http://www.squidders.com/KitList.zip

Cheers,

Joe

Shame you didnt usae mysql!! I use unix so havent got a hope of opening this ;)

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Squidders,

Works well with my kit so far. I think it will be a great help to me although the more stuff I discover that I have, the more typing I do. I wonder if I might buy less kit as a result ?:lmao:

Many thanks
George:You_Rock_

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
mysql??? mysql?!?!?! geeesh! :D

Actually I have done a fair bit of work this evening but the more I do, the more there is to be done... time to relax my eyes I think.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The important thing to remember is that if you have linux or dos or hp-ux... well, honestly I don't care. I made this for me and if you like it and it will help you, you're welcome to use it.

I didn't write access, microsoft did... if you hate it just e-mail them and i'm sure they'll rush to help ;)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
The important thing to remember is that if you have linux or dos or hp-ux... well, honestly I don't care. I made this for me and if you like it and it will help you, you're welcome to use it.

I didn't write access, microsoft did... if you hate it just e-mail them and i'm sure they'll rush to help ;)

hahahahaha... I like ;)

Hey listen I have an msaccess database importer and... if you can send me the actual.mdb file i would like to take a look, its just; without to much hassle I can't run a installer for access.
And don't want to get in to os wars on here ;) but would be interested in your work..
(thats the geek in me)

Simon:240:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Squidders,

have downloaded your programme but haven't had the opportunity to have a look at it - maybe over the weekend. Anyway would just like to say thanks for all your effort on this and for sharing it with everyone. Good work.

Cheers

JFW

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Because some of us have minds like a sieve and use kit lists so we dont forget anything.

Fair enough a list, but a database???...... I'm thinking sledgehammers and nuts here.

I thought it already was Gary?:confused:

I'm not going to load some pointless bit of software onto my computer just so I can read a database file.

I have absolutely no other use for databases so why should I

Squidders was being sarky about people not giving him feedback but perhaps that's why.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
once I got the dammned thing installed (which was an interesting experience) it looks like it could be a useful bit of kit for generating kit lists (because my organiseational skills are notoriously lacking) although the weight function is not much use for me, others may find it more useful, I don't know.

out of interest, my scout group might like to use this to keep track of our stores (tents, cookers ect) would it be a problem if I used a version for this purpose? my attempt was horrificaly complicated, and was quickly abandoned when we found it wouldn't work on any computer except the one it was written on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE