Kit for the younger generation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

I'm finding it very difficult to find clothes, rucksacks, etc that will fit me comfortably as I'm nearly thirteen and no companies seem to make serious outdoor stuff for people my age.

If anyone else has the same problem as I do I'd like to know and also I'd like to know if any companies make small kit especially rucksacks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I remember this stage well, two sons both growing like weeds, between 12 and 16 they each grew over 40cm in height, and both constantly needing outdoor stuff :D
My local outdoor shops, Tiso and Black's, stock kids and young adults size clothing and kit. Mind you it's not cheap and at your age you'll grow out of stuff so fast it's really not worth spending a fortune on something. These shops have branches all over now.
A backpack as you'd use for school will do fine for a short outdoors trip; Berghaus make good small sized/adjustable ones as do North Face, Lowe Alpine and Jack Wolfskin if you're after something a bit more substantial.
Buy the pair of boots that fits you best (army cadets/ air cadets boots are stocked by Arco who sell industial clothing and have branches nationwide) and never mind the name.
Waterproofs come in so many different qualities that it's worth your while thinking about how much use you'll give them. If the answer is "lots", then the folk who sell clothing for sailing are well worth a look, it's not all dayglo coloured :) They have an excellent range of clothing for children and small adults.
Fishing outfitters are maybe a better source and they are usually a good bit cheaper. If your budget can stand it I found the hunting & shooting clothiers had some good stuff for the boys.
One of my friends has just bought a set of green waterproofs for her 14 year old, in Millets, that claim to be breathable, for well under £20.
Army surplus type stores are worth a look too, especially if your budget is tight, and there's always ebay.

Best of luck with it.

This is a good thread, there're a lot of parents on the list who'd be interested in good kids sized kit.

Cheers,
Toddy

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Ask at your local gear shop if I were you. Millets or Blacks are a good bet - because they stock the big brands. In todays consumer-savvy world, the companies are in hard competition, and a lot of money goes on marketing, market research, finding product areas and offering services that the competitor doesn't have. Therefore, at some point, at least one company will have spotted the thirteen year old shaped hole in the market, and very quickly filled it with bags. Doing this brings it to the attention of others, so although they're late on the scene in terms of publicity that doesn't stop them making better products (a la Sony vs Apple in the iPod war).
What I'm saying is (in a very roundabout way, I know :D), there will be gear marketed at you, and you're most likely to find it from the bigger manufacturers (eg Berghaus, or Eurohike).
However! Don't be tempted to get a big bag, because a) they cost a lot, and you'll have to replace it when you get bigger, and b) you really should avoid putting lots of weight on your back before you're at least 16. This is for the same reason that gyms have a minimum age of 16 to join - putting weight on your spine when it hasn't properly developed will at the best make you shorter than you should be, and at the worst open up a host of potential back problems when you're older.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I forgot to mention that the bigger stores such as the Blacks empire (yes, it's an empire, and then some) will also get lots of younger people/families going to them, as they're high street stores and are well known.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thanks everyone for the help.

I'll go and check out the big brands and stores then, hopefully I'll be lucky and find some decent suff. I'll also have a look at womens stuff as well, see what there is around.

Oh and by the way I've already got some good boots so I'm OK in that department.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Aye, the idea about womens rucksacks was a good one. But all of the mens bags are built differently so its worth just trying on a whole load of stuff.

Cheers.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
What about your local Scout shop. They have to cater for your age group and kit is often reasonably priced.

It was there and the Army Surplus stores that kited me out as youngin and to certain extent they still do. They often carry small combats and the like that you will grow into and at there prices they'll get you out and about and save you money for the next pruchase when you have better idea of what you want.

There are also a few kit lists post here so maybe print a few off and use them as guide to build your own kit list. They have been built up from experience and might help to point you in the right direction.

Last of all don't buy it straight away. Ask all the question take in the info (note book and pen Help) get a catalogue and then go look some where else and have think about what you have seen. Weight against your kit list and see if it fits the bill and your wallet. At 13 money doesn't grow on trees nor does it at 30 so think hard your purchase could be the difference between comfort and joy or pain and hardship.

James

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i'm 13 and have had the same difficulty, although scouts shops are a good idea, but they have a limited choice. I fit into mens smallwear now so should encounter your problem less and less, but it depends how big you are.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
I'm quite small, the height of mens clothes is usually allright (maybe a bit big though :D ). My main problem with mens clothes is the width, so if there are any narrow mens clothes that would be good.

On the rucksack side I would like something for serious outdoor travel, so tough and water proof preferrably. Although my difficulty with the mojority of rucksacks is that they feel a bit too tall.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

Went up to John Bull military clothing today (great shop just outside catterick army base) and got a Karrimor sabre 35 today for my birthday as I thought it was the most comfortable rucksack for me. I've actually found that it is more comfortable than the civilian womens rucksacks that I've tried.

Also for my birthday my parents bought me a snugpack softie 3 merlin for a camping/hiking trip to Wales that we are going on this summer. The reason for this choice was because I thought the temparature range was fine but mainly because it is so small and light when packed up so it won't be a burden. Does anyone know how big and heavy the Nanok endurance -10 sleeping bag's are? As I may save up for one if they are not to heavy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE