King Alfreds Cakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

jwhf

Hiya All

I have been told that you can use the Alfreds Cakes as tinder (not just to hold a coal) and was wondering if anyone knows the truth of this and if so what the best way to use it is?

Cheers

jonny

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
as long as they`re dry they will take a spark from a steel or a strikalight ,or the ember from friction fire lighting , is that what you mean?, they can also be a charcoal substitute or used as a hand warmer, top stuf

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
As long as they are not too wet you can harvest them, split them in half, shower them with sparks and you have a glowing coal. That easy!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ed said:
Cramp Balls / King Alfred's Cakes / Daldinia concentrica is a great tinger to get a coal.... very very easy :)

Ed

And I was just about to say........"What's a King Alfred Cake" So it's another name for cramp balls right?? Funky :cool:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
so when you`re wearing tight jeans you may suffer from acase of king alfreds :-D

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I thought it was another name for horseshoe fungus?
Ive used it before and a golf ball size one smouldered for about 20 minutes, good for carrying fire. Also the brown material you get when you cut it open is another great tinder that takes sparks readily!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE