kilts for bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
My kilt is a bit dear to take out to the woods, maybe if they sold traditional ones a bit cheaper I'd be up for taking it out into the woods.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
There is a Cornish tartan, one of my relatives got married a few years back and we all had to wear Cornish Tartan Kilts...
So no it is not just Scottish or just for Scots!
i think if you could get a light weight kilt, which was rip-stop/ waterproof or resistant it be ideal for bushcraft. Would need to be the right price point tough.

Mind you i wouldn't want to be the one that keeps stepping over the fire while wearing one

J

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I'm seriously considering a kilt. I've liked the idea since someone on edcforums showed off his new 'Utilikilt'. I'm not brave enough to wear it though I don't think? I'm of Irish and Welsh descent so I'm kinda legit as far as celtic/Scandinavian clothing goes I reckon.

My missus thinks I'm being daft. "you'll never wear it outdoors"!! She may have a point.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Sometimes I wish I was Scottish so I could get away with it. I'll get too much abuse for wearing a man skirt. :(

I can see the missus going crazy now - kilt + vibram five finger shoes! :lol:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Sometimes I wish I was Scottish so I could get away with it. I'll get too much abuse for wearing a man skirt. :(

I can see the missus going crazy now - kilt + vibram five finger shoes! :lol:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
It seems it is a very practical item of clothing, recently I was reading about barefoot walking/running and a comment about the film Rob Roy came up "the costume makers didn't think it looked right with everyone running about barefoot (even though historically correct), so they made boots and shoes for the cast".
If you think about about the people living and working in cold wet highlands, the last thing you want is wet and cold footwear/ lower legs, trousers and boots would need to dried out every night. If you take away all the modern additions like shoes and socks they seem to make perfect sense as a practical piece of clothing.
BTW the Cornish tartan is a very recent invention with no real historical basis.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I think you just have to have the confidence to wear it. a lot of irish do as well as the scots, but I have met germans, french and english that wore them.
I prefer a hakama myself though, light and breezy but still protects you from the elements. I don't like the idea of scraping the crap out of my knees wearing a kilt.

troopermaz

Apr 15, 2010
Highworth
I wear my kilt in all winds and weathers especially at biker rallies cos it folds up nice and small but it is not my clan tartan as that is far too expensive so i have a plain black lightweight kilt which i got from an ebay shop for around £40 and yes i did get alot of stick for wearing a man skirt as some call it as i dont live in scotland also you can buy work kilts which have a sewn in tool belt

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I think you just have to have the confidence to wear it. a lot of irish do as well as the scots, but I have met germans, french and english that wore them.
I prefer a hakama myself though, light and breezy but still protects you from the elements. I don't like the idea of scraping the crap out of my knees wearing a kilt.

Hahahahaa. Shikko in a kilt would toughen the knees up, that's for sure.

I'd never go near a spark in a hakama nor a lightweight synthetic kilt, they go up like Roman candles and lots of folks have been badly burned.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I have started really looking into this kilt thing........may start out with a 'Pride of Wales' tartan or a Black Watch Synthetic 8 yarder......maybe after payday.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
HERE HERE correct,but the scottish highland people had a kilt for the summer and a special long all in one throw over for the winter,which doubled up as a wrap round blanket,so if you not scottish you`ll need to buy two "SKIRTS" missis might not be too happy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE