Kifaru Pointman Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
first...WOW, the new forum looks awesome...great job gentlemen!!!

I mentioned on the forum some time ago that i would post a review of the my latest toy, so here it is.

Ordered from www.kifaru.net (awesome service and VERY customer service oriented)

Pack construction: Constructed ENTIRELY of 1000dn Cordura with a double layer on the base for reinforcement. It is cylindrical in shape and has two openings, one at the bottom and one at the top. Construction seems to be rock solid, i've actually lifted the bag with about 25kg in it by it's top zipper and it's held fine. Both zips are #10 YKK. Buckles are nylon except for the quick release buckles on the shoulder straps which are delrin.

The entire bag is covered by PALS webbing for modularity and infact Kifaru have an awesome range of pouches and ad on's for this. As you can see from the pic i've decided not to use this feature but i HAVE got the pouches to use if necessary.

So far i've used the bag in the field only for recreational purposes and light field training. Max weight in the bag has been 42kgs which inc a few drums of 5.56 ammunition and water.

It's definately the best pack i've ever used, pity it doesnt come in Auscam. I've got another one order in OD as i can apply a paint over this a lot easier than i could over the black.

Best feature about the pack is it's waist belt. It's ultra thin but just seems to wrap around my waist. No pressure spots and no sore points.

definately looking forward to many more bush walks with this pack.

Oh and i've snuck in a pic of an Auscam version of the M83 South african defence force assault vest and the steyr assault rifle :) enjoy

regards
Jeelan

Attachments

• kifaru1.jpg
    kifaru1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 131
  • kifaru3.jpg
    kifaru3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 98
  • steyr and vest.jpg
    steyr and vest.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 100
  • kifaru2.jpg
    kifaru2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 92

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
OOOoh Nice mate :cool: , ive been looking at these recently ive mailed them asking about the pointman and a few of their pouches it looks a really good sack, bit pricey though, and the import tax may be a bit as the whole set up i want is about &360 :eek: , anyone know how this tax is worked out? :confused: Have you got a pick of it next to some thing for size, try a bottle of beer i know exactly how big they are lol ;)

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
hi pagan

YEah they're a little expensive, but in hind sight i think they're definately worth it.

I've gone through 6 different packs over hte last yr and half because we get new equipment in our unit constantly for trial and it gets rotated every 3-4 months and the Pointman is by far the best i've ever used.

I cant take it in the field because of the colour obviously, but that was a comms error between Kifaru and myself so as mentioned earlier i've got another one on order, i've also got a Marauder on order too which from they told me is already on its way.

I dont have a beer bottle handy at the moment so used a pair of Scarpa SL's instead for comparison :D

Ive also attached a pic of a CAMELBAK MOTHERLODE which is another pack i've been using. This one's a 35L pack. It's sensational on my back, the shoulder harness is jus awesome, the straps are broad but very supple so they curve over the contours of your back and shoulders perfectly while distributing load evenly as well. The pack as it currently is has got TWO 50m abseiling ropes and a 3L camelbak bladder so it weighs around 12kgs...

i walked about 25km's last weekend with it without any problems at all.

i've also got a Karrimor Sabre 45 and Sabre 30 but neither of them really compare in terms of comfort with either the Camelbak or the Pointman.

regards
Jeelan

Attachments

• kifaruscarpa.jpg
    kifaruscarpa.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 55
  • kifarucamelbak.jpg
    kifarucamelbak.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 52
  • camelbak.jpg
    camelbak.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 43
  • camelbak1.jpg
    camelbak1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 41

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Just ordered a black Marauder and can you tell me if the belt you got was a padded or unpadded/with or without PALS? Does it fold away neatly? I'm currently surfing various sites for accessory pockets and am blown away by the choice.
I'm the opposite to you as I needed a black one for work as Camo/OD etc would be too 'Gung-Ho'.
I don't think I have ever spent this much on a pack in my life so it better be good!

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
hi Dances

I haven't ordered the Marauder with a hipbelt at all as i dont plan on carrying so much weight in there. I plan on using the Marauder as a three day assault pack for day to day patrolling etc so shoulder harness only.

I DO have a hipbelt with the Pointman, it's a padded belt with PALS webbing on it and as i mentioned earlier, it's probably what sets this pack apart from anything else i've ever worn on the market. The hipbelt just wraps around you, there are no pressure points etc, i cant really speak highly enough of this particular feature.

As for pouches, yeah look around as i found the kifaru pouches to be a little dear. I currently have the two side long pockets and 1 back pocket and 1 claymore pouch with MALICE clip option. the MALICE option is a lot more secure than the quick release but it's also for a more long term solution. You're not going to be able to lose the pouches quickly, it's fiddly and will take 10mins or so.

I plan on posting some pics of the Marauder as soon as i get it along with a few other bits and pieces i have used in the past.

hope this helps

regards
Jeelan

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I currently have a Snugpac rocket pack if you know the size of the rocket whats the size difference between the pointman and rocket pack? or would i need the next model up? :confused: cheers matey..

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
Pagan

it's definately a little bigger than a rocketpak both in length and width. Similar in height to a Karrimor Sabre 45, a little more wider and more depth.

but it's also got aluminium stays on it so carrying capacity far exceeds anything that a non framed pack will allow for.

I have a fairly thick upper chest from back to front and my neck is fairly big so i've always had issues with packs where the inside of the shoulder straps grind against my neck OR that the shoulder straps are just too short and the buckle at the end of hte shoulder straps digs into my pecs.

I've found the shoulder strap length to be prefect in these packs and they're independtly adjustable. For me thats great depending on whether i've got webbing on or an assault vest etc.

Also bear in mind that it HAS got a zipper on the base of the pack for entry into the pack from the bottom.

The official pack size is 50L and the rocketpak is 40L

regards
Jeelan

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Slightly off topic with this thread but has anybody seen in the flesh or used a kifaru tipi?
I'm seriously thinking of getting a 6man with medium stove to lord it up on my winter trips.
Not cheap at over $1000 + $90 postage from states to UK + import tax which I believe is 3.5% of total costs, according to uk customs web site.
The complete pack weight including stove is about 10lbs, not ultralight I know but if 2 or more were sharing and wanted a base camp or extreeme cold weather retreat
this I think looks ideal.
As long as somebody kept the fire going you could leave your thick sleeping bags at home as well as seperate cooker, these things get near sauna conditions I understand! Sounds like luxury to me when it gets below freezing outside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE