Kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was walking my dog yesterday, I go through a clump of woods(very small) but I bumped into a gang of kids who were sawing the branch of a tree that was hanging over the track (the tree was dead). I asked what they were upto and was told they trying to make a run for their bmx's, so I left them to it. As I was going through today I noticed a bit of blue tarp hanging up, so I went to investigate and I found the tarp set like a shelter with 6ft bamboo canes as poles, 5 folding chairs a few spades, some forks and a little area where they had had a fire going. I went back at about 6pm hoping they would be there so I could tell them about fire safety (i used to be a fire safety officer many years ago). but alas no one was there. Then I thought to my self these lads have been watching ray mears over the weekend and like the idea of it, unfortunatley it could all end in disaster as one of the bamboo poles was about 6 inches away from the fire. I wish schools would teach kids about his sort of stuff. I cannae complain myself as my mates and i used to go up the river carron and do the exact same thing.
I'am sort of lost to the point I was trying to get over now. :confused:

Maybe it was just education education education

and a little fun

should we have some sort of outdoor courses compulsary in schools?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
jongir said:
I was walking my dog yesterday, I go through a clump of woods(very small) but I bumped into a gang of kids who were sawing the branch of a tree that was hanging over the track (the tree was dead). I asked what they were upto and was told they trying to make a run for their bmx's, so I left them to it. As I was going through today I noticed a bit of blue tarp hanging up, so I went to investigate and I found the tarp set like a shelter with 6ft bamboo canes as poles, 5 folding chairs a few spades, some forks and a little area where they had had a fire going. I went back at about 6pm hoping they would be there so I could tell them about fire safety (i used to be a fire safety officer many years ago). but alas no one was there. Then I thought to my self these lads have been watching ray mears over the weekend and like the idea of it, unfortunatley it could all end in disaster as one of the bamboo poles was about 6 inches away from the fire. I wish schools would teach kids about his sort of stuff. I cannae complain myself as my mates and i used to go up the river carron and do the exact same thing.
I'am sort of lost to the point I was trying to get over now. :confused:

Maybe it was just education education education

and a little fun

should we have some sort of outdoor courses compulsary in schools?
Jongir,

How about a note (charcoal on a split log?), saying

"nice camp lads - I'd move the bamboo away from the fire a bit though". Leave it like a "dead letter" and see what happens. Checking out a reply next time you are walking could be fun - you could even give "secret" advice on other things - more thrilling for them and more likely to be heeded!

Red

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
maybe its education through experience................. they will learn.most of us all took the same learning process in some shape or form

Mr Strop

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
Leaving a "mysterious message" is tons better than the education we got.

More or less along the lines of "F*rk *rf!"

So we did it again.

The letter seems a great idea. I work alot with excluded school kids and kids from "dissadvantaged" areas. It pays to praise then advise. Always start off with, praise like "thats a great camp, great bivvy/den etc", then advise not tell them with something along the lines of "do you think it would be better to keep your fire away from your den as all your hard work could go up in smoke"?
Kindest regards.
Johnny F

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I think this is a bloody marvelous idea/thread - go for it! God knows any kid who gets out there and builds camps these days should be praised - after all, they've managed to escape the grip of the dreaded playstation (Like play needs a station!!) :rolleyes: :D

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
encouragement and advice is allways better than a lecture just think we all started out like they did in a few years they will be just like us :D

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Kids will be kids and it is part of their learning process.
It's unfortunate though when this turns into vandalism, in my local woods I have found live trees cut down and then nailed together into other live trees, tons of litter and old fire pits as well as clothes and furniture including an old 3 piece suite which was used in their camp probably once until it got soaked and started to stink.
Respect is all they need to learn a couple of hours of fun for them can leave an eyesore for years.
This is not just kids either I have seen adults doing similar, leaving beer bottles and all their rubbish after an impromtu BBQ in the middle of the woods.
I was almost stopped from going into my usual bushcrafting spot near Frant in sussex after a similar group had a BBQ on the land and caused a massive fire. There was a fire engine there for a month because the fire kept popping up all over the place due to the nature of the ground.
After this the landowner banned me from having fires until I persuaded him that I knew how to put a fire out thoroughly and would only light them in areas without pete soil.

unfortunately I just found out that most of the stuff they are using(forks, spades, tarp, bamboo cane and seats are all stolen from the allotment across the road. :banghead: So tonight I am going to try and convince them to take them all back.

some you win some you lose

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I was walking through my local woods and I came across a BMX track. I thought to my self "well at least the mounds of earth won't do serious harm to the environment. It could be worse with bottles and such" And with that I carried on walking. Further on I found what made it worse. It was even worse than bottles. There were bottles, disposable BBQ's, a tarp,a huge hole with the remains of a fire in it, and I even came across a certain item of womens clothing. I was appalled and had a long discussion with my companion about how people should take care of their surroundings instead of the "Its not mine so I don't care" attitude. I carried on to my previous campsite. I then compared the two. Mine? No bottles, no petrol cans, no sign of a fire even thought I have lit one there several times and certainly no langerie. All there was there were two dead, fallen birch logs that I use as seats and a little supply of cramp balls in one end of one log. What was my point again? Oh yes, I have had a similar experience

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
jongir said:
Well I went back today and i met the kids. Unfortunately some other kids have came and wrecked their camp. They've also wrecked alot of trees.
<sigh> I suppose we've all done things we aren't proud of, but it does make me want to find a more constructive use of time for those responsible. Probably not "cool" though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE