Kelly kettle or the ghillie kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 19, 2024
Kent
Hello chaps just trying to work out what the differences are and why you would pick on over the other think price is similar looking at roughly £10 ish more for the jelly variant, just wondering if there is any difference in quality or uses

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Sorry for being a contrarian but I'd go Petromax for the handles on the back. Pretty sure they offer it in stainless steel now too.

Reactions: Big Si and Herman30

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
The whole world knows that I’d recommend the Kelly Kettle. It’s up there in my avatar :). In fact they all boil water well. I particularly like the KK cooking system, it’s so much more practical than using the flu.
I think they all have or supply tripods (or quatropods) to keep them off the ground if that’s what you want.

The new version of the 600ml KK Trekker will probably have folding handles.
Once you get heavier than that the wire handles become uncomfortable (I’m told).

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Eydon Kettles have a chain on the back, so can pour it by pulling.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I have both, they're both great.
Kelly's marketing is better, and i think slightly aggressive. Their search optimisation is pretty much on top, even on YT, and they tend to get more reviews. But they're trying to protect a long-established brand. So you can't blame them for that. Business is business.
Kelly has the tougher(?) stainless kettles. They're all made in China. They also have the hobo stove add-on which imho, takes a lot of feeding, like any twig stove. Whilst it's good, I think purpose-made twig stoves do a better job. But I'm still trialling mine.

Ghillie is made in the UK, aluminum, not stainless, but has a 10yr guarantee. The whistle is aluminium and doesn't get stuck as per the kelly marketing would have you believe. Also the anodised version is supposed to be almost as good as stainless. I did some research into materials, and even the nerd in me probably wouldn't notice the difference.

You can make your own twig stove add-on for the ghillie, like this guy.
I've mine out of an IKEA cutlery drainer. It fits the smaller ghillie kettle pretty good, and it's way more fun making your own stuff.

Honestly I don't think there's much in it.
It depends how you want to use it, how often etc etc.
If buying British made is important, get the Ghillie. Otherwise, there not much in it price wise. They turn up on flea bay pretty regularly. I don't the add-ons are worth it, but they might be useful to others.

Edited: I wrote a much longer reply, but it got lost to the gremlins.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
been using a Ghillie kettle since about 2008 with zero issues. Upgraded to a fancy smancy blue HA one some time ago to match my new canoe and donated my old one to a mate and both are still going strong.
Not much to choose between either IMO, I just prefer ghillie as a brand, "first with a whistle!" ;)

Also my ghillie kit came with the hobo attachment which is great to keep the fire going a little longer when the water has boiled and is off the base.

Reactions: GrandadInTheWoods

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
One of them was part of a bbc TV show where this bald guy goes into the factory to see how they're made. I thought it was Kelly but might not be if they've been made in China for a long time now. I think the programme dated at least 5 years possibly 10 years. Lots of old kit that looks like it's victorian era!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Kelly Hobo? Absolutely no problem.
Both the little Trekker and the bigger Base Camp - I use them all the time.
I will admit that it’s hard to get burned marshmallow off them after a camp with a grandson.
IMG_4894.jpegIMG_4811.jpeg

ijohnson

Mar 10, 2024
uk
I've got 2 Ghillies. A big one and a wee one. Use the wee one the most as I'm solo most of the time, but I like them both. Sometimes wish I had a stainless steel storm kettle (whatever the brand) but so far haven't noticed any issues with the aluminium ones. I like the whistle on the Ghillies so that would be one reason I would choose them, the other being it's always good to support UK manufacture if you can.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Problems with Kelly and Ghillie (for me) is that for lifting off the burner one needs to put the hand above the "chimney" because of the way the handle is constructed.

How do you lift it up without burning your hand?
81mmDv7+NLL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

No, Petromax for me until Ghillie and Kelly makes a side handle.
And another plus for Petromax is the legs so the burner does not touch the ground. A good feature for us that would use a kettle in the forest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadushu

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Problems with Kelly and Ghillie (for me) is that for lifting off the burner one needs to put the hand above the "chimney" because of the way the handle is constructed.

And another plus for Petromax is the legs so the burner does not touch the ground. A good feature for us that would use a kettle in the forest.
When you lift it off the base, you hold the handles at 90° to the kettle.
In this video at about 2:15

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
……. and legs have been an option on both of the major players for many years now.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When you lift it off the base, you hold the handles at 90° to the kettle.
In this video at about 2:15
OK that's a faff compared to a handle like a domestic jug kettle. One hand grip, lift and pour. Not much in it but I think I find I agree with @Herman30 on this.

Not got one but always fancied one. Used them before in groups and they're good bits of kit. I once used a really big one that provided enough water for about 10 brews I think.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I like using my KK but only after I added a jug style handle. The reason that I don't use it more is that a Thermos flask can serve a similar purpose for my use.

ijohnson

Mar 10, 2024
uk

Similar to the video but a bit different. I have always had the handle to the other side from the spout, and once I'm ready to take the kettle off the burner I take off the whistle holding it by the bakelite style knob, and then using the chain for tension lift off with the handle at 90 degrees to the body and tilt to pour with the chain. I understand that the handles on the Petromax might make it a bit easier, but it's really not that hard with a Ghillie, and you get practised with anything you use regularly.
Another point to note is that I always try to use only just enough fuel to get the boil I require, so by the time I'm lifting it off there are no longer flames spouting out the top. Again, it's just something that comes with practice.

I also have the stand for my smaller kettle. Definitely a worthwhile addition.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sure, it's not a big deal just seems easier with a side handle. However it could possibly be a source of weakness or failure at the handle too. Swings and roundabouts, you'd have fun with with both!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Whatever brand you choose, they are wonderful pieces of kit.
I find myself using my little 0.6L Trekker KK much more than the big 1.6L and as I tend to use a coffee maker, there are times when I only use the Hobo for meals and just use the kettle for washing up.

You can do a lot of work with the little one.
IMG_6376.jpeg

This will easily cook a curry and rice from scratch and do breakfast and coffee in the morning + washing up.

I would agree that if you are in a day trip then a thermos is very much easier. Not so much fun, but easier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE