Keep comming back to these! What are your tools of choice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
No matter what Tools I buy/Trade I always seem to come back to these ones, they just seem to work for me!

The hawk is still fairly new to me but the GBSFA is now well on the shelf as this thing is Very light and out cutts the SA with ease.

Just the ramblings of a destracted mind (And a totaly pointless post!)

10042008077.jpg

SSL20307.jpg

I also have a pukko which is almost interchangable with this knife

kniv17.jpg

This is not mine, mine is the same but a little more battered!

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I have a hard time functioning without my 16 inch Tramontina Machete and a scandi of some type. My favorite combinations are...

img2765bg2.jpg

16 inch Tramontina and a Skookum Bush Tool, A2.

img3275gi4.jpg

Same machete with a large Zebu slipjoint

img3248gb1.jpg

Just because I love this photo. I was having a good day. This is the place I just keep going back to.

Mac

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
The machetes are sold by the binfull next to a bin of ugly mass produced sheaths. I have an odd habit of visiting feed stores and farm co-ops in dusty towns here looking for handmade machete sheaths. That´s one I've had a long time. When I find a sheath I like I often go out and buy a blade to fit it. If I could find them in bulk I could make a pile of money but these are handmade sheaths from small makers. Mac

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
Tinderandcomppics001.jpg

Throw in a GB Scandi Forest axe, and a Opinel saw and those would be the tools I have used the longest and always seen to end up with.

My kind of place. Blue Mountain ridge. S.E. Washington State.

IMG_0475.jpg

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Skookum!

I do tend to find that kind of blade a tad thick though!

Wayland stunning as always!

How does the large scandi chopper stand up? Is it heavy? weight is the only thing that puts me off about my Machette

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
The parang is a newish edition for me ,the best £3.00 ive ever spent from a car boot sale,but since buying it I have not used any of my or larger knives or any of my axes !:eek: the smaller modified frosts laplander is a constant companion !

P6120004800x600.jpg

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Any idea how thick it is?

Infact if I could trouble you for overall dimensions??!?

Cheers

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
hi pignut the leuku is the same as mine( 9 inch) 230mm blade 3mm thick 120mm handle made by Stromeng and i must say its a very good user

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tools of choice - hmmmm.......
My Damascus knife that I handled and sheathed myself, my SFA, Barco folding saw, and Leatherman Wave get most use I guess but the knife can be swapped with whichever knife I have just made/reviewed or with one of many I have made in the past, the axe with the Wildlife Hatchet and the Wave with a good SAK - depends on where I am going, how I am getting there, what I will be doing there and how I feel when I am packing!:rolleyes:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
"This knife is often given to Sami children around the ages of 7 and 8"
Love the description on the 5" lekku :D
I have a 9" one that I picked up in Norway a few years ago.

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
Pignut. parang verses leuku.... I rate both of these tools very highly but the parang wins for me on its incredible chopping power due to the shape of the blade, its not overly large it fits inside my pack, its easy to sharpen and holds a wicked edge also its good for finer work and digging if needed ! all in all very good for somthing thats 100 years old and cost £3.00 :)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Oh, finally found the time to take a picture...

sharp_tools.jpg

I've uploaded it now to the BushcraftUK gallery...

They're not the prettiest bunch of tools, but they're the ones I'm using =)

The Gerber is from a pawn shop in Vancouver (about 15 Canadian Dollars if I remember correctly, it's still in top condition), the SAK I own for about 15 years now (recently treated it to new scales), and the axe is a B&Q cheapo of which I have reshaped the bevel (my first axe, I am learning to work with it, then I get a nice one). The saw I found in the gardening section of B&Q, it's a Wilkinson retracable.

The only big expense was the A1 (own it for a couple of years now), which I just love! I'm also finally getting used to the size of it, and it turns out that it's really nice to work with.

The square file (a sheffield file) was £2 from a local shop, and the big sharpening block (4 grits) is from Aldi and was around £8 I think. The small sharpening stone is the Fallkniven DC4.

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE