Karrimor Sabre 75 ltr vs Snugpak Rocket Pak 70 ltr vs something else?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
i'm using an old army bergen at the moment or a gelert 65ltr
both are uncomfortable and not very user freindly.

i'm 6 foot and usually go off for 5days plus taking everything i need which is about 60 ltr tops including sleep clothes and food etc..

any advice on which to buy ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like them both, plus the Snugpak Bergan - but I would think that you may find the Snugpak items a bit short in the back for your hight.
They fit me well - but I am only 5'5" tall.....

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I prefer the Rocket Pak myself, purely because of the colour (silly, I know).
Style-wise, I prefer the Karrimor.
Have you thought about looking into other, cheaper, options. They're not the only packs out there.
Personally I use a Highlander Forces 66. Good price, good capacity. But there are umpteen other options.
On second thoughts, you'd best not ask what packs others use - you'll get a million replies and be none the wiser. Yeah, best of sticking to choosing between the Karrimor and the Rocket Pak if that's what you've chosen.
Me? I'd have the...the...Karrimor. But I'd be thinking about the Rocket Pak...

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
The Sabre is more expensive but is much better made - things like the durability of the zips and the fabric are more noticeable. The back system on the Sabre is much better as well - still you pays your money you takes your choice!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I had a snugpak but it had to go as it was too short for me,shame really because it carried every thing I needed as long as I used the pockets.(I'm 6'4")
I had a sabre 45 but it had to go.It carried everything I needed but the opening was smaller than the base,this caused a bit of forcing to get my dossbag in.Once it was in no problem.
I now have a sabre 75(present from my wonderful wife) the top is the same size as the base so no problem with my dossbag and I can get everything I need into it without the pockets.
In terms of quality and value for money I found there was very little difference,The sabres seem to be made from tougher material than the snugpak,this was the only difference in quality.
As for features the karrimors knock spots off the snugpak.
Comfort? Well the snugpack didn't fit me so I'd rather not comment,but the sabres are very comfortable.
which to chose? as with everything it's a personal choice but get one that is comfortable.
If snugpak made one in my size ........I'd still chose the sabre on features and durability alone

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
hmmmmmmmm its looking like the Sabre then...

i'd rather spend that bit more and save in the long run ...
like i said i bought the Gelert and the army one totalling about 80 quid which was a waste.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
i'm using an old army bergen at the moment or a gelert 65ltr
both are uncomfortable and not very user freindly.

i'm 6 foot and usually go off for 5days plus taking everything i need which is about 60 ltr tops including sleep clothes and food etc..

any advice on which to buy ?

Highlander forces bag. 66 or 88. Both really good and sturdy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sabre over the Rocket Pak everytime for me

Like others have said already the Rocket Pak would be too short on you, unless you're wearing webbing aswell. I had a RP for a while but got rid because it was uncomfortable fully loaded.

I'm only in Morley if you want to try my Sabre on for size, PM me if so

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Any particular reason you chose the snugpak over the others Trojan?

Firstly cause i got a better deal off ebay!

Other reason was i could wear a knife pouch and the other was the pockets come off and can be zipped to make a daysack by buying the yoke to at £12.00.

I think with anything like this you got to try it on to be sure.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The pockets are the same on the karrimor.I agree that you have to try things for size and fit,myself I find trying something in the shops is not the same as trying it out in the real world a few times.This is why I get through so much kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE