Just wasted £25...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I saw a big poster in Jessops yesterday advertising an 8GB SanDisk SDHC card reduced from £70 to £24.99 - so I went in and bought one. Took it home, tried it in the camera (Nikon D50) and got a message on the screen that "This disk is not usable". Bummer! Took it back today and asked for a refund. They refused because I had opened the blister pack. They said I should have read the camera documentation to see what types were compatible with the camera. And I should have asked the guy in the shop before I bought it.
Then I took it back home to see if I could upload all my music on it for my MP3 player, and the computer wouldn't even recognise it. Anybody got any suggestions as to what I could do with it? Can anyone make use of it themselves?

Eric

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I saw a big poster in Jessops yesterday advertising an 8GB SanDisk SDHC card reduced from £70 to £24.99 - so I went in and bought one. Took it home, tried it in the camera (Nikon D50) and got a message on the screen that "This disk is not usable". Bummer! Took it back today and asked for a refund. They refused because I had opened the blister pack. They said I should have read the camera documentation to see what types were compatible with the camera. And I should have asked the guy in the shop before I bought it.
Then I took it back home to see if I could upload all my music on it for my MP3 player, and the computer wouldn't even recognise it. Anybody got any suggestions as to what I could do with it? Can anyone make use of it themselves?

Eric

you should be able to download a driver for it on the web so that your PC will recognise it. Possibly from the makers website. You should go to the makers site anyway and look at the troubleshooting pages. Thats all I can suggest Eric.

Stu

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks Tadpole. The above links shows clearly that I am not the only one having problems with the D50. It is apparent that the D50 will only work with cards up to 2GB and SD only.

I'll buy a few 2GB cards instead and sell/swap the 8GB one.

Eric

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
When you do buy some smaller cards, take a look at mymemory.com. Very good prices and reliable service. No connection etc., other than using them for several years with no worries.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`d take it back again mid week Eric as they`ll probably have different staff on then to the weekend. Tell them it`s faulty ( you could even do some minor damage to it before taking it in ) tell them you`ve sourced another over the weekend because you needed one and just ask for a refund or credit note at least.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I`d take it back again mid week Eric as they`ll probably have different staff on then to the weekend. Tell them it`s faulty ( you could even do some minor damage to it before taking it in ) tell them you`ve sourced another over the weekend because you needed one and just ask for a refund or credit note at least.

A bit dishonest innit?

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
7dayshop.com does some very good memory cards at stupid cheap prices - remember eric that if your using 4 x 2GB cards and one gets corrupted then its bad but not the end of the world whereas one 8GB card goes belly up and you've been shooting away all day then its down to the gods what you will be able to get off it.

It doesn't happen very often but it happens enough to make me think about doing something to minimise it.

Cheers
Tom

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham

Eric

Take it back, at the very least they have to give you its value. I would also point out that it does not work in a PC either, so is faulty, and if they get it to work, it does not matter, because it is obvously incompatabile with your set up.

If they still refuse, it is trading standards time.

Take it back, at the very least they have to give you its value. I would also point out that it does not work in a PC either, so is faulty, and if they get it to work, it does not matter, because it is obvously incompatabile with your set up.

If they still refuse, it is trading standards time.

No.. its possible the PC card reader only takes SD cards a SDHC card is a differnt type of card even if it fits the same slot and looks the same etc
bit like buying an XD or CF card and wondering why it wont work (just these are a bit more obvious adn wont fit hte SD slot)

i haved to bin a Card reader a while ago cause it wouldnt read the newer XD card stds and though it was supposed to be upgradable they never bothered to release a downloadable upgrade for it
and my compact camera will only take XD cards up to 512MB etc etc

the 4GB SDHC we got for our D90 came with a little single card USB adaptor (again from Jessops )

ATB

Duncan

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I use Jessops a lot and know most of the staff there so I won't be lying to them. Big retailer or not, it's just not right.
I should have asked right at the beginning if it was compatible, and if I had been told 'yes', later to find it was 'no', then I would have grounds to return it as it would have been sold to me under false pretence. However, their policy states that once a product has been opened and cannot be resold (as is the case with a blister pack product) then they won't entertain a refund, exchange or credit note. Now I know that there is a difference between SD and SDHC cards I'll be better prepared for next time.

Eric

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fair point Eric, this whole non-returnable blister pack thing is nonsense though, if it was packaged in a cardboard box like things used to be then they`d have exchanged straight away. I can understand their argument but at the same time customers are getting stuck with the wrong product because of a daft policy.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Eric,

Speak with your local Trading Standards, I am sure that the Sale of goods Act states that you can return any goods within 28 days without having to give a reason for return, as long as the purchase is not damaged. My slant on this is that the card is not damaged just the packageing which was necessary to gain acess to the card.

In future I would advise checking www.7dayshop.com for anything you may need. I have never found any on line store that can beat them.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Hi Eric, My wife bought a Digital camera from Jessops and when the assistant was handing it over, He dropped it on the floor. MY wife refused to accept it. She had already got them to drop the price a bit.
She refused to take it and got her money back. She then went to another Branch and said that she was offered it at a given price at the original shop. The second branch gave her one at the price she quoted after checking with the first shop. So another branch may be the answer. In any case the card is not " fit for purpose" so they should have to refund the cost, if you have your receipt. Threaten them with Trading Standards involvement.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
it wont work on pc because it must be a standard style card reader not the high capacity sd ones, as for them not taking the sd card back, well demand they do, after all its in an unused condition.
in future check out ebay for stuff like this, i got a 4gb card for £7.99, they are giving away flash memory nowadays.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
The best thing to do is call your local consumer direct helpline. I have always been very impressed at how good they are to deal with and the advice that they offer is 99% spot on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE