Jon'sKuksa Cup TUTORIAL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
kuksa21.jpg

Kuksa's are traditionally made from Birch wood so that is what i will be using.

Take a log of fresh birch wood and chop it down the centre with an axe.

kuksa18.jpg

Take one half and carve the chopped surface smooth and flat with your knife.

Draw around a cup or round object onto the flat surface of the log. Use this line as a guide when you are carving.

kuksa16.jpg

Carve around one side of the circle like so:

kuksa22.jpg

now carve the underneath to make nalf your cup shape. You will be needing an axe for these jobs because there is quite a lit of wood to remove.

kuksa15.jpg

Now draw out your handle shape. To easily remove most of the wood from either side of the handle i made some stop cuts.

kuksa11.jpg

Simply chop off the wood

kuksa5.jpg

Carve some more wood off with your knife from either side of the handle if you need to. Leave some excess wood on though.

kuksa10.jpg

start to carve out the other side of the main cup section. If the knife slips and goes onto the handle area it will only damage the excess wood which yo should remove later.

kuksa8.jpg

kuksa4.jpg

Now you can draw on your handle shape

kuksa12.jpg

I used a bracer to creathe the whole and just my knife to do the rest.

kuksa13.jpg

once the main shape of the cup is carved and you are happy with it, move on to carving out the bowl.

kuksa1.jpg

Once you have carved your cup to perfection and its symetrical on both sides, put it in aa open paper bag for a week to let the wood dry.

Once dry it will be time to sand your cup smooth. Start off with the most coarse sand paper you have and then use less abrasive papers to finish. I generally use three different grits of paper. Get all the bumps and scratches out with the roughest untill you move onto the finer stuff.

To easily sand out the inside of the handle whole i uses a peice of sand paper wrapped round a stick.

kuksa20.jpg

You can also drill or burn an extra whole for hanging your cup

kuksa2.jpg

Once sanded and totally finished i oiled it with vegetable oil.

Finished!

kuksa3.jpg

Article by Jonathan Ridgeon

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
That's a marketing strategy that big movie companies use too, it makes you want to come back looking for the real deal when it's complete :) Looking forward to it !

You damn teaser... :D :joke:

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Nice work Jon. Makes me want to go home an cut down one of my River Birch trees and have a go at it. Only thing stopping me is that I don't think the wife would be too happy with me if I did it. :D

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
i posted it by mistace before it was finished so i had to say "work in progress"

Hope you like it anyway!

Jon

Well of course, I was just messing a bit ! :You_Rock_

To be honest, I prefer a small kuksa. Do you know how much liquid it can contain ?

Great work !

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice one! You missed a bit though, carving the bowl, which I find the hardest to do and have totally messed up the two tries I've had at this so far! It looks like it may be third time lucky!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Nice one! You missed a bit though, carving the bowl, which I find the hardest to do and have totally messed up the two tries I've had at this so far! It looks like it may be third time lucky!

I don't know how i missed that out!:eek:

Ive added that in now but there is no method as to how i gouge it out. I just do it and it turns out well.

Many thanks

Jon

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
very nice work and very helpfull tutorial, I like the v shape where the handle meets the back of the cup. Looks very strong.:) :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I always just want to take that extra little bit off, and then it all goes pear shaped!! I am gonna need to find a good bit of birch to have another crack at this. You are really busy at the moment, I've no idea how you fit it all in!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE