Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Alvsbyn is more rural, and if we do have to spend time waiting for the connection, certainly more to see and do.

What do you plan on doing with your kit whilst sightseeing? Do Swedish stations have luggage storage facilities?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Pete, let's share a piece of cheese in Jokkmokk mate ;)

I'll book another 20kg bag :lmao: ( I need room to bring the Gudbrandsdalen back, I'm going to empty the country)

Looks a reasonable price.

I'm seriously looking at travelling North after Jokkmokk to see the "Blue hole of Abisko", maybe flying home from Kiruna or maybe even Norway. Anyone fancy it? At solar maximum, there's a good chance of camping out under some spectacular skies.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Are you skiing from Gallivare?

No, coach part or all of the way depending on the weather and conditions. Its the same deal with the coaches as back in march. I'm probably slowshoeing too, unless I can get act together and get some ski-training in.

udamiano

On a new journey
What do you plan on doing with your kit whilst sightseeing? Do Swedish stations have luggage storage facilities?

probably not this one, Im sourcing this at every place we're staying just in case

965px-Älvsbyn_järnvägsstation_20031123.jpg

Alvsbyn Train station

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just heard the campsite has fallen through... I may have to cancel and swallow the money I've already paid for flights, accommodation and trains.. :( Another few hundred quid will mean i'll arrive just to wait for my return journey.... pffft

udamiano

On a new journey
Just to clarify!
The original site, has fallen through, this was not the only site I looked at, a total of four were looked at, all of which can put us up. But the original was the cheapest option, due to being a start up this year. But they needed absolute numbers (10+) by the end of July which we were unable to provide at that time, so when we finally were able to give them numbers, they were unable to get us in... Second choice is an established site with room and have emailed me prices a couple of days ago which I've now sent out. I'm making a provisional booking as soon as I get out of hospital (tomorrow /Sunday) so should be with them Monday. These will only be provisional bookings, and you will need to settle up with the site yourselves, either beforehand or on arrival. If you could please now PM me with the dates you intend to arrive, at jokkmokk, and leave I can then provide the site with the numbers and accommodation required.

@Maddave
I've PM'd you with the new campsite details, not at home for the next couple of days and only have my phone, so limited forum access. If you need any more info please PM me. Ill pm you my mobile number as well

Da

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
ohhhh I might have salvaged this trip yet

Allmansrätten, or “Every Man’s Right”, is an important part of Swedish cultural heritage, a unique freedom of access to Sweden’s countryside and wild places

Can I light camp fires in Sweden?

Yes, lighting fires is permitted under the Right of Public Access, but you must follow certain precautions to minimise damage and the risk of an uncontrolled fire. You must site your fire where there is no risk of the fire spreading and where the fire will not cause damage,

I’ve heard that you can camp wild anywhere in Sweden. Is this true?

Up to a point, yes. The freedom to camp wild is one of the great joys of an outdoor holiday in Sweden. You should not pitch your tent on farmland or near a house, and stays in any one location are limited to a night or two.

Groups of friends pitching two or three tents do not need to obtain permission from the landowner, but as always, you must respect the privacy of anyone living nearby and take care not to damage the natural environment.

Generally, a good rule of thumb is to ensure that you pitch your tent out of sight of people’s houses and do not stay more than two nights in the same spot. Don’t forget to take all your litter away with you (including food scraps – orange peel, for example, can take many years to degrade naturally!). If no other option exists, make sure you bury your toilet waste properly. Choose a spot at least 50m from houses, camping spots, water sources, etc. Dig a hole 15cm deep for your waste and then fill in soil on top. Do not bury non-degradable items such as children’s nappies or female sanitary products.

Also found this..... http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?region=1&country=Sweden&city=Stockholm&terminal=Arlanda

That plus getting the bus to central station will save money I should be able to cut £200+ off the costs of the trip

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Maddave,

My brother in law and myself will be looking to bivvy up in the area as well. Which days are you going to be around? Before and/or after the market?

Look forward to meeting up!

Regards,

Lennart

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Jokkmokk-Satelite.jpg

Looks like Damian and myself will be in this sort of area.

I'm going to be spending a good part of my time around the market and everything else that's going on.

As usual, photography is a big reason for me to be there and I need somewhere I can safely leave kit while I'm doing that.

The open views from the headland should be ideal for Auroral shots and we may well bivvi out in the woods around the campsite for part of the trip but a secure base camp and somewhere I can recharge cells is a big consideration for me.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
So if I understand correctly those attending have to option to operate from a secure base, meaning a cabin or something like that?
That would mean no extra expanses regarding sleepinggear and shelter.

I also just looked at trainfares and these were lower than I had anticipated. Combining the two I just might be able to show up after all. If I'm still welcome, that is.
In which case could I be kept updated with new information, please?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Damian is not well at the moment so I will try to clarify things if I can.

The intention was always to organize something like a meet up. What people did about their accomodation was up to them.

We had a lead on a new campsite that could have provided us with heated Laavus at a good price, which would have been ideal but that fell through. We tried to get group rates for travel and camping but did not get the numbers we needed to make that happen.

As it stands at the moment, Damian and myself are booking a two person cabin at this campsite. At the time Damian spoke to them they still had some cabins available if anyone else wants to book one, but they will probably go fast. The market is the busiest time of the year for them.

Some people are planning to bivvy in the woods under "Allmansrätten" as is their right, but Damian and myself would prefer to have somewhere secure to leave equipment while we visit the market.

As I have emphasised since the beginning of this thread, everybody is independent and responsible for their own bookings, equipment, schedule and safety.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE