Jerky/ biltong techniques

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jellytot

Apr 1, 2010
Manchester
I made the mistake of buying dave some UK made Biltong and Jerky on Sunday. He's fallen in love with the stuff and feels my dehydrator can be used for better purpose than tasty herbage for bunnys. Trouble is I have not got the first clue in making it.
Does anyone have some easy recipes and techniques to share please? He's especially keen on the biltong as its thicker.
Thanks!
J

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
ASDA had some beef in the other day that was cut like bacon rashers, it was ideal for home made jerky. I flavoured mine by:

Seasoning with course sea salt and black pepper corns, adding a sprinkle of Shwartz Steak Shake (I think that's what it's called), then soaking in soy sauce overnight in the fridge (sealed in a zipbag). I dried mine on low heat in the oven with the door open a touch for a few hours. If you have a dehydrator, even better.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Sorry for the partial hijack, but does this mean that you can make jerky/biltong in a dehydrator that is the same as the 'air dryed' jeky I see Raymondo & other do on a tripod over a smudge fire? If so I may now have a need for one, as I tried the 'oven door on low heat with the door half open' method with mixed results.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I had a bash at this the other month and it worked a dream - search in here for biltong or jerky and you will gte a load of recipies.
Dont bother with expensive meat cuts.
my oven is a little odd and wont turn on with the door even slightly open - so i ended up turning it on and off for a few minutes over about 14 hours - still worked although i was cautious and cut it really thin so didnt need much drying.

Dynamite_1303

Feb 25, 2009
North Yorkshire
I've just bought one of these and about to test it out this weekend. I can't wait. I've looked at the various recipes, of which I'll try a few, but I can't help trying some with Henderson's Relish (being a Sheffield lad originally). I'm sure it's already been done, but it's nice to add that bit of Yorkshire tradition into it!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've just bought one of these and about to test it out this weekend. I can't wait. I've looked at the various recipes, of which I'll try a few, but I can't help trying some with Henderson's Relish (being a Sheffield lad originally). I'm sure it's already been done, but it's nice to add that bit of Yorkshire tradition into it!

Shhhhhhh Don't tell em about Hendersons !! I get it sent by "Stealth Astra" over the hill to Manchester when my mate comes over from Catcliffe :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE