I've been drinking ... about to order some Bear G stuff (intervention required)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Col.Decker

Apr 23, 2014
Newport, Shropshire
I likes the look of the BG fire lighting ferro-rod tool. Specifically I like the way the two pieces clip together as a tube, good design imo.

But in my time here I've learnt that whatever BG can do, someone else can do ... and cheaper. So recommendations for pocket sized ferro-rod (or equivalent) fire lighters please.

Like music? Own a beard? Music for beards: www.facebook.com/edconwayandtheunlawfulmen

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The BG ferro rods are not that great for the money. Go to Woodlore and buy one of theirs, they are one of the finest quality ferro rods you can buy. Light my Fire versions are good too. I think I did a review on the BG one some time back and although it did the job, the Woodlore one was far superior.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
In my experience it's the scraper that makes the most difference. I've had cheap and expensive ferro rods and they all perform the same if the scraper is the same. However there are 2 types of ferro rod floating around,

From sharkdesigns.co.uk

http://sharkdesigns.co.uk/bushcraft...e/FIRE/pyroflint_full_metal_jacket_range.html
We stock two main types of ferrocerium rod the ‘Standard’ and the ‘Durable’; both are extremely good at producing an amazing shower of sparks that will easily ignite almost any kind of tinder. The main difference between them lies with the iron content that each type contains, each having advantages over the other because of iron variation.

Briefly, the ‘Standard’ ferrocerium rods contain lower percentage of iron than the ‘Durable’ ferrocerium rods, this allows the ‘Standard’ ferrocerium rod to produce a larger shower of sparks with less striking effort, however, it is more prone to the effects of corrosion and snapping.

The ferrocerium rod with the higher percentage of iron is the ‘Durable’. The 'Durable' was designed to be more...well, “durable” than the ‘Standard’, it being better able to resist the effects of corrosion and accidental damage. In addition to this, the ‘Durable’ produces bigger and longer lasting sparks than the ‘Standard’ that have the advantage of increasing the likelihood of producing an ember when a spark reaches the tinder. However, the ‘Durable’ does not generate as many sparks, and requires a little more pressure and striking speed to produce the ones that it does.

An unexpected benefit of using the lower sparking ‘Durable’, over the higher sparking ‘Standard’, is that small shavings can be scraped from the surface of the ferrocerium rod in a similar manner to using a Magnesium Fire Starter without them igniting, assuming less pressure and striking speed is applied that is. This is virtually impossible to do with the ‘Standard’ type of ferrocerium rod, since the ‘Standard’ sparks too easily. The small shavings from a 'Durable' can be collected together as a small pile of ferrocerium, which can easily be ignited when a spark is intentionally directed at the small mound. The resulting high intensity, high heat output of the resulting flash should easily ignite damp or harder to light tinder.

Incidentally they sell some very good ferro rods and are great to deal with.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Have another drink, then go bananas! ;)

I hear the ray mears store has cheap billy cooking can things on sale too...!

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a mixture of light my fire and cheap Chinese fire starters. The branded ones are best to be sure but it is not as if the cheap ones are useless. If you can't start a fire with a cheap one they I don't have much hope for you. The difference in quality is hardly night and day it is more like comparing a Ford with a Mercedes. If you are cash happy go for the best if you are on a budget buy a cheap one. One thing I would say though is I don't get the interest in buying the ones with huge plastic gubbins and springs fixed to them. A small handle is all you need (if at all) everything else is size and weight you could do without.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Do it complete your inner fandom and buy a hat and t shirt to go with it

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
If you think it will work for you and you need it, then why not? If its not quite to your liking sell it on, or chalk it up to experience. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
The BG one has a built in whistle and waterproof compartment which is always good. For about the same price you could buy a pack of 10 rods(no striker) from Amazon and glue your own wooden handle on (or wrap in duct tape). Not orange, but if you lose things a lot, at least you've got 9 more.
or
EDC Firekit by Polymath Products.
http://www.polymathproducts.co.uk/portfolio/edc-fire-kit

Edit: oops, didn't real thoroughly enough. You got one. OK! :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE