Its that time again HAYFEVER!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Well its that time of year again when i cant breath or see, whats everyones best cominations of tablet sprays and herbal fixs?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Chemicals. I use old fashioned Piriton because the newer non-sleepy ones don't work for me. Also Otrivine-antistin eye drops because my eyes itch and drive me mad. I've never found a natural remedy that actually works.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Same here and yesterday was a shocker. Burning eyes, streaming nose and the real nasty the itchy roof of the mouth.
I find you need to take the over the counter jobs such as certazine every day dont miss one out even if its raining outside and you have no symptoms.
Changing your shirt when you come in doors and washing your hands arms and face regularly throughout the day. Also avoiding the middle part of the day when everything kicks off if you can.
The doctors will prescribe the monster horse pill anti-histamines if you push them and they do work well....but they can give you a wobbly head.

I think a lot of it is down to location. If off to the woods for the weekend or further up north I find it much less worse. Where I live there a fields full of horrible rape-seed and such which makes things pretty awful.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I was part of the pollinex(?) jabs trial over three years and it made the most amazing difference- the whites of my eyes don't blister up anymore and really, I just sneeze and sniffle... the novelty is so grand I don't take anything now. I think it was discontinued a few years afterwards because of some deaths iirc, there might be something similar and safer now though?

A friend who suffered badly too was never affected after he moved to Perth, WA, something to do with the size of the pollen? Bit of a radical cure but it worked for him ;)

EDIT- My trials were in the 80s, they seem to have resurrected the idea and brought out a new generation... some info here....

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
My kids suffer allergies. I'm fed up buying Piriton and our local Coop stopped stocking it's cheap own brand alternative.

Back in April I spotted an offer highlighted in Martinsmoneysavingtips mail out. I bought 12 boxes of 30 tablets 10mg Loratadine from Chemist-4u.com for £11.23 inc delivery. This is a generic brand product like the NHS use. So under the cost of 2 prescriptions for a years worth or 2 boxes of Piriton over the counter.

The only thing I know works other than Antihistamines is nasal irrigation. Good luck with that.

You can go for allergy desensitisation some postcodes but this is months of daily trips to hospital to be injected. The risk being that you go into anaphylactic shock as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dont know if anyone has tried the nasal sprays but I found them awful. Instantly your nose runs and gets on your chest and increases the sneezing. You get a little relief then it wears off after about an hour, useless.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I suffer from late Feb - early March, I find a tablet that works but have to change every couple of seasons, this year I'm finding that Tesco own brand 10mg Loratadine are doing the trick.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've suffered badly for years, and it's now all year round for me, though much less severe in Winter; the only thing that's come anywhere near making it bearable is Piriton and this costs an arm and a leg in the quantities I need. The good news is that the active constituent of Piriton is Chlorphenamine, which is now off-patent although nobody seems to be in a rush to publicise that! Find a small independant pharmacist if you can and ask him for it, cheap as chips!

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I've just swapped from tesco loratadine to a cheapie cetirizine and it has made a huge difference!
When I was a kid I must have tried every antihistamine under the sun and nothing really helped much.
Wear sunglasses, wash your face, and if one drug isnt working - try a different one!

I do find that haymax (other beeswax in a tub may be available) does help the nose itching a bit.

sent from my windswept fell using Tapatalk 4

Jun 6, 2014
Black Country
I get hayfever more in Urban areas than in rural but mine eases of this time of the year but will increase in August. I know of few people that source honey, made in the local area and eat that. Its meant to help build the body resistance by desensitising the body to local pollen.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
If it's any consolation it tends to reduce as you grow older. Great, swap hayfever for arthritis and other diseases of old age.

I always use generic drugs rather than brand names if they are available, they are the same chemicals and a fraction of the cost. For example Ibuprofen 27p for 8, or Nurofen £2-30 for 16. No brainer. You sometimes have to ask for the generic at the counter and Boots tend to want to sell you their own brand rather than the generic unless you push the point, I find independent pharmacies are usually a better bet for that sort of thing or for anything a bit out of the ordinary. It also comes in handy knowing the generic names if you're travelling, more than once I've gone into a pharmacy in a place where I spoke none of the language and written down the generic name for the pharmacist.

Trials on honey were inconclusive but it tastes good so what the heck. You'll need local honey to stand a chance of it working.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Nothing's working tonight ! Eyes noise ears and wheezing chest 2.20am n streaming and blinking hot argggggg
,man I wish I was at the North Pole . But positive point the half moon looks great tonight.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I try to put up with the sniffles and bunged upness as much as possible because when I've taken anti histamines for more than a week at a time they seem to not work as well. So If I'm feeling particularly unhappy I take a Benedril (or cheaper counterpart) and if after half an hour that's not doing the trick I take a claratin or generic centrizine). As to whether go branded or generic, I swing back and forth. Mostly I buy whatever I see cheap first so branded on special offer or if not got a choice), but I do notce that the quantity of active ingredients is often much larger in the branded versions.

I totally agree with the face/hand washing method too. I'm so used to being a dirty scrote that i don't normally wash until I've got home and had a cuppa in the evening, but at this time of year I go straight to the sink and wash (not just a rinse off, but soap as well!) and change my t-shirt. If I've been in a high-pollen environment I wash my hair at that point too, it makes a difference.

I find its worst in the evening and then again in the wee small hours when I should be sound asleep. Also certain pollens are worse than others. Growing up it was rape, unfortunate since I grew up in Essex where it is almost entirely rape fields. These days its mostly tree pollen, also a problem give that my workshop is in the middle of the woods! :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE