It's just Sunday Dinner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We've just had our Sunday meal

IMG_20220828_174600.jpg

The roast chicken is a Buff Orpington cockerel, hatched by us, raised here, slaughtered, plucked and dressed by us. It's not a fast growing broiler breed that can't stand by 6 weeks old, nor was it killed at hatch for being male as laying breed cockerels are. The chickens live on the grass under the trees in the orchard. Land that cannot be dug or ploughed because of the tree roots, but its perfect for chickens who enjoy shade, wind protection & occasional windfalls.

The potatoes are Sharpe's Express. Percy Throwers favourite early and developed 20 miles away and a hundred years ago. Grown by us in used feed sacks filled with compost made by us at the end of the field. The carrots grew in the field in a bed where last years potato growing compost improved the soil.

IMG_20220828_172546.jpg

The butternut squash is grown in a bed fertilised by chicken manure gathered in 2020, rotted in 2021 and turned in in Spring 2022. The top growth will be composted to provide growing medium for next years potatoes and the following year's carrots.

IMG_20220828_172550.jpg

The stuffing is made from pot grown sage, home grown onions, breadcrumbs from homemade bread and a little home rendered lard. We raise no cranberries so the sauce is made from the sloes we do have.

We didn't grow or grind the wheat (although we can and have). It was grown across the lane and ground in the local windmill.

We didn't grow or process the sugar for the sauce (although we can and have). The sugar beet field is 400 yards away.

There will be sufficient leftovers for two more meals and the carcass will make stock for proper gravy.

It's simple food, but none the worse for that. The idea that locally raised, sustainable food is worse for the planet than air freighted food grown abroad also makes excellent fertiliser.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Excellent! can't really compete but:

We had mash from our own potatoes, red cabbage and green beans from the garden, chicken of the woods from 100m away, and blackcurrant sauce from our own blackcurrants; the meat did travel, all the way from Knepp Estate :(

Still sipping a glass of wine that came from Italy though!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent! can't really compete but:

We had mash from our own potatoes, red cabbage and green beans from the garden, chicken of the woods from 100m away, and blackcurrant sauce from our own blackcurrants; the meat did travel, all the way from Knepp Estate :(

Still sipping a glass of wine that came from Italy though!
It's not a competition & yours sounds delicious!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Mine was pretty local too.
Purple tipi beans , purple carrots, potatoes and sweetcorn all grown in my garden, and a nice steak from the farmers market from a farm about 10 miles away.
I usualy eat a vegetarian diet, but it was a sizable steak for £2.60, so I decided to get a bit of iron into me before the winter, a bit of a vitamin treat. It was realy good.
No more meat for a while, as its too expensive, anyway I have plenty of veg coming through for now.
My usual Sunday lunch is mixed roast veg platter. Lots of fresh herbs, garlic and seasonal veg. Lovely grubbly. :)

Reactions: beachlover

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We eat a lot of vegetables too but I confess that this crusade that "vegetables are good for the planet" makes me laugh! They grow brassicas around here. The seedlings are steeped in an insecticide before planting. Its so powerful that if any caterpillar attempts to feed on the seedlings for 7 weeks, the insect dies. So toxic is this chemical that you have to plant the seedlings wearing gloves. When grown the brassicas are stored in an electrically powered cold store for up to 12 months. And those brassicas are much better for the planet than the out of season flown in stuff!

Reactions: beachlover

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can't say I did it today but I get an enormous buzz from eating soup made from vegetables I've grown from a bowl i threw, glazed and fired with a spoon I carved accompanied by a chunk of bread i baked while sitting at the table I made.
That's outstanding!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE