Is this Tinder Fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Hi folks,

Just wanted to know if this is tinder fungus? I got it smouldering, but it didn't flame up. Will it produce a flame in the right conditions?

P1010010.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010012.jpg

I've cut the fungus in half in this pic. It's ringed and very woody.

Thanks

Pablo

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Open to correction, but that looks like Crampball fungus to me.Otherwise known as King Alfreds Cakes - makes a reasonable tinder when sliced thinly. Use it as a coal and blow amongst other tinder (shaved birch bark etc) to get a flame.

Nice one Pablo

Ogri the trog

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
I'd like to see a photo of "tinder fungus". I don't know squat about any of the fungi that grow on rotting wood. With my luck, I'd choose the one type that is deadly poisonous to burn and kill myself :lmao:

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
directdrive said:
I'd like to see a photo of "tinder fungus". I don't know squat about any of the fungi that grow on rotting wood. With my luck, I'd choose the one type that is deadly poisonous to burn and kill myself :lmao:
here you go, there's some good info. here about both tinder fungus and false tinder fungus (and alot more if you look around the site), they're both very useful...http://trackertrail.com/survival/fire/tinder/tinderfungus/index.html
hope this helps :)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Pablo, I've never found any crampball in Essex where did you find this if you don't mind me asking?

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
That is a great link Pablo I have been a fan of Roger Phillips works for years, a well worth bookmarking link.
:You_Rock_
I aggree with the ident on the fungus almost certainly Cramp Balls (Daldinia concentrica) and most commonly found on Ash trees.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
if you can find some of the "true tinder fungus" it really is amazing stuff, it will take and hold the tiniest of sparks and it smells nice when it burns. I think it is ideal for use in fire pistons aswell although i've never used one so i'm not sure. :)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Yeah they are King Alfred's cakes. I usually find them on fallen ash. The best way to prepare them for tinder is to dry them out fully. I usually put them on top of a radiator - but make sure youwrap them in paper or kitchen towel as when they dry they will release all their spores and believe me they can get everywhere :rolleyes:

Once they are dry the ringed inner layers will take a spark from a firesteel - just scrape the top surface off to reveal the ringed bit. They can also be used as replacement charcoal briquettes as they burn at a regular temperature without flame and for a long time.
:)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Pablo said:
ScottC - This was in a wood north of Braintree near Sible Heddingham - Lowt's Wood I think it's called.

Pablo

Think I know the place, thanks. :You_Rock_

Rod

On a new journey
Pablo said:
Thanks for your replies. I think this was on oak, but it was a felled branch and hard to tell.

Hi Pablo,

Crampballs usually spout on fallen/dead ash trees Sometimes ash bark can resemble young oak. Round my way I have only ever found them on dead ash - but who knows what goes on in Essex ;)

Great for carrying an ember and you can use them as a handwarmer too :) (Don't put them lit in your pockets though :eek: Useful if you can put a couple in your tinder pouch/possible bag.

Have some fun with them
cheers

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i generaly find them on Ash and Alder, quite prolific in devon but i havent seen many in wales yet.. good stuff i find dry it out by the fire and then pack it in your tinder pouch to keep it dry.. i often transfer a bowdrill coal to a decent sized crampball as its extreamly demorilising to work so hard to get your coal and then to drop it through your tinder bundle or to have it go out befor you mannage to transfer it, this way it makes it a lot easier to hold, its wont go out easily, and can expand!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE